Gordon Brown's Speech To Congress

slinkydevil

I noticed the 6 o'clock BBC news noted Gordon Brown got his biggest standing ovation from his mention of outlawing 'Offshore Tax Havens'. I know it's been argued that we arn't one but they still keep banging that drum and I expect they'll be some examples set and why not the ones close to them?

"And you are also restructuring your banks. So are we. But how much safer would everybody's savings be if the whole world finally came together to outlaw shadow banking systems and offshore tax havens? "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...-full-text.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/persona...tax-havens.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/ma...haven-crackdown

Will be interesting to see what comes out of the G20 meetings.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "special relationship" and "Oh how wonderful America is" , load of nauseating tripe. But what is best is all this talk of hope and progress to a time when all the people of the world will be revelling in the success of capitalism blaa blaa blaa, even though the West is in a massive crisis.

Ah,the great and the good!

Interesting to see Edward Kennedy gets an honorary Knighthood!

Is that the same Edward Kennedy that drove of the road at chappaquiddick pissed up and with no licence , killing his secretary in the process?

I thought it was a well delivered speech, shame it was all guff aimed at kissing the Americans ass and trying to boost Browns rep.

I think he touched on just about every American ego massaging point. I dont normally take an interest in these type of things but there was fuck all on today so i watched PMQ`s and this speech.

Nauseating lickspittle - I agree with IP and I've only seen a couple of clips. Empty rhetoric, cynically tailored to say the things the septics wanted to hear - and to be reassured that Gordon's a bible belter too!

Nauseating lickspittle - I agree with IP and I've only seen a couple of clips. Empty rhetoric, cynically tailored to say the things the septics wanted to hear - and to be reassured that Gordon's a bible belter too!

Made me chuckle a few times when he mentioned that his Father was a minister and he refered to religious quotes or phrases, not something he tries to win the hearts and minds in his own country.

:o

this gordon BooM BooM chappi lookin to blamin any bodi for credit crunch

ilse of man very good target .......tax haven...........tax haven........tax haven ......tax haven........

Oooo we so so lucki havin toni brown spekin up for us ilanders

He realy luvly, the way he never blamin uk for anythin, how ever much they strangel us ilander

:rolleyes:

"And you are also restructuring your banks. So are we. But how much safer would everybody's savings be if the whole world finally came together to outlaw shadow banking systems and offshore tax havens? "

I agree, lets get rid of the offshore tax havens starting with the biggest of the lot - the UK!

The UK has been an offshore tax haven to Europe (amongst many others) for decades. Brown is upset with Jersey, Guernsey and IOM because we are beating them at their own game.

As for Obama, the amount the US are losing to tax havens is small compared to the likes of the gulf war. Pull out of there before you start legislating against your own people!

I think it`s now blindingly obvious what Brown`s and Obama`s intentions to the likes of us really are,well run or not.Here`s hoping the recently signed German agreement may throw some small spanner in the works.

I think it`s now blindingly obvious what Brown`s and Obama`s intentions to the likes of us really are,well run or not.Here`s hoping the recently signed German agreement may throw some small spanner in the works.

Or send us some Panzer tanks when we go to war.

Archived