Gordon Brown's Speech To Congress

slinkydevil

One word sums this up....

scapegoating

were "offshore tax havens" directly responsible for the collapse of the following :-

a) Enron

b) AIG

c) RBS

d) Northern Rock

e) Lehman Brothers ?

They want someone to blame for their mis-regulation and their own corporate greed and corruption, and are desperate to protect their own tax revenues to pay for these and various other financial scandals that happened on their watch...

we should fight back - drop all AML legislation - accept large cash deposits no questions asked - invite Russia/China to have a nuke base in Jurby and provide air and sea defense.

Then let's see who's a tax haven.... :)

or maybe we shouldn't...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

scapegoating

were "offshore tax havens" directly responsible for the collapse of the following :-

a) Enron

b) AIG

c) RBS

d) Northern Rock

e) Lehman Brothers ?

They want someone to blame for their mis-regulation and their own corporate greed and corruption, and are desperate to protect their own tax revenues to pay for these and various other financial scandals that happened on their watch...

we should fight back - drop all AML legislation - accept large cash deposits no questions asked - invite Russia/China to have a nuke base in Jurby and provide air and sea defense.

or maybe we shouldn't...

Glad I`m not the only one to think of Jurby for this purpose, how much did the U.S. pay for Chzech Rep. base again?

or maybe we shouldn't...

Glad I`m not the only one to think of Jurby for this purpose, how much did the U.S. pay for Chzech Rep. base again?

I still like the idea of relocating Camp X-Ray to Jurby which will ingratiate us with the US administration even more than any brown nosing from Gordon. He can then go bomb the Channel Islands.

The big challenge for the UK and the USA is to find a bank in either place that anyone trusts. No wonder they're scrambling round looking for diversions.

scapegoating

a) Enron

b) AIG

c) RBS

d) Northern Rock

e) Lehman Brothers ?

or maybe we shouldn't...

I really like this idea!

Tha fact is, our government are going to be having to make some brave moves and decisions shortly. It will be interesting to see who is found to be wanting when the going gets tough!!

Don't think they paid cash, although it's quite possible - corruption is rife in Czech politics, as it is throughout Central and Eastern Europe. Various tangible and intangible incentives have been offered though. I think one of the main reason that some Czechs are keen for the missile defence radar base to be here is to stick a finger up at Russia, who they've understandably not forgiven for Soviet era oppression. I would note though that there are still a lot of people against it, and it seems that, with the incoming US administration, the whole thing is likely to be shelved or at least delayed now anyway.

Don't think they paid cash, although it's quite possible - corruption is rife in Czech politics, as it is throughout Central and Eastern Europe.

Every day I say 'Hallelujah' and thank the good Lord above that I live in a paradise free of corruption, sinecures, nepotism and all forms of political venality.

Those poor Central and Eastern Europeans.

Every day I say 'Hallelujah' and thank the good Lord above that I live in a paradise free of corruption, sinecures, nepotism and all forms of political venality.

Those poor Central and Eastern Europeans.

*Turns down the sarcasm on his monitor* You nearly broke a bulb there! :)

The changes to the IOM and other places status as Financial Status' has already started and will be far more stealth like and more progressive than a full frontal attack.....

Two examples that I have been made aware of recently from different sources:

1. to get a credit card now with a bank in the IOM, you have to start by completing an itemised breakdown of income and expenditure including differentiating between electric and gas...that detailed. This is even where the account backing it up has over £50k pa passing through it showing clearly the ability to meet the commitments. This typical over reaction to the present "crisis" is the thin end of the wedge and is also not the case in the UK.

2. A normal method of business placed in the IOM is now being curtailed by the banks here. Where, for instance, a Hong Kong resident wants to own a property in the Uk, he will normally put it in the name of an offshore ccmpany such as an IOM company or a British Virgin Island company to avoid having to pay Inheritance tax levied on death where he owns the UK property personally. This has been going on for years and is perfectly legal and is huge business offshore. The banks in the IOM are now refusing to open accuonts, and even closing exisiting accounts with little or no notice, for such companies to receive rents and to pay outgoings such as electric, council tax, service charges etc even where the company pays UK tax on the net rent receivable.

Do not think that the IOM will long survive or that there will be an open attack at upon its constitution. The UK is and will bring pressure to bear on the banks to not conduct legitimate business here and that will strangle the economy here and there is bugger all that Brown or anyone can do about it.....

There is a lot to be welcomed in this as it will have the effect of halving the population, reducing the price of houses, seeing subsisdies brought in from the UK for transport and other faclitlies to retain a population here. Perhpas you can also then get a reliable tradesman at a reasonable price when you want one and, even better see a reduction in the Civil Service numbers!! Maybe Utopia?

There is a lot to be welcomed in this as it will have the effect of halving the population, reducing the price of houses, seeing subsisdies brought in from the UK for transport and other faclitlies to retain a population here.

Why do you want to see local familes split up as people go across to seek work?

Why do want to see empty properties lie derelict?

Please explain your thinking.

There is a lot to be welcomed in this as it will have the effect of halving the population, reducing the price of houses, seeing subsisdies brought in from the UK for transport and other faclitlies to retain a population here.

Why do you want to see local familes split up as people go across to seek work?

Why do want to see empty properties lie derelict?

Please explain your thinking.

Sarcasm?

Archived