Isn't This Place Busy?

bluemonday

You cannot polish a Turd :D

Not strictly true - I was reliably informed some years ago in my Air Force days that there was a turd obtained (from a certain member of the royal family) when the plane she was travelling on had the loo emptied. The turd was subsequently gold plated.

Now there's one turd that can be polished.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for that albert nice little fact :lol:

What needs to be realised that its not just a manx problem the internet is taking a lot of trade plus sky high rents.

This is why retail parks are growing and high streets are dying its called progress, plus no parking issues.

REmmeber the customer vote with there feet.

I've just been into Douglas to get some foil pie trays. No wonder people buy from the internet - it's virtually impossible to park!

First try was Chester Street, but cars were queuing all the way to the bottom of the ramp, so aborted that plan. Went to M&S car park which indicated that spaces were available - a complete lie with around 20 cars circulating and pouncing on people pulling out (I'm surprised nobody has been maimed in a fight), so drove along the prom - same scenario there with a crawler lane of 'pouncers'. Was just about to abort my pie quest when a space came up by the bottleneck.

Now, the health police will say I should have walked into town anyway - but that's not addressing the issue. Hundreds of people made miserable (including the shopkeepers) by a complete lack of parking on a Saturday. Lateral thought - open the prom walkway to cars at weekends, and encourage the corporates to open their spaces (hundreds empty but secured) - donate the money raised to charity if you like!

Edited to add: The out of town sites (retail parks) do well because you can pull up at the door and do your shopping. It's not rocket science - we like cars and want to use them!

You truly disgusting man. Hasn't enough of Douglas been disfigured enough you and your ilk? We have car parks at Chester Street, Marks & Spencers, Shaw's Brow, Finch Road, the bus station, next to the sea terminal, the bottleneck carpark, tesco's, next to tesco's all of which are but a short stroll from Strand Street. Virtually the whole Prom and most of the side streets are littered by ugly discarded vehicles (sorry parked cars). And you want to take away one of the few places that people can walk unmolested by these monstrosities.

Now, the health police will say I should have walked into town anyway

Health Police will say you shouldn't be thinking about making pies!

I think this facade concept was started in Catherine the Great's days by her favourite, General Potemkin - after whom Potemkin Villages were named:

Potemkin Villages

Personally I would like to see an International Competition to select a winning window design. A panel of International Celebrities could be flown in from around the world to judge the entries.

Look on the bright side this could be a new local industry with export potential.

You truly disgusting man. Hasn't enough of Douglas been disfigured enough you and your ilk? We have car parks at Chester Street, Marks & Spencers, Shaw's Brow, Finch Road, the bus station, next to the sea terminal, the bottleneck carpark, tesco's, next to tesco's all of which are but a short stroll from Strand Street. Virtually the whole Prom and most of the side streets are littered by ugly discarded vehicles (sorry parked cars). And you want to take away one of the few places that people can walk unmolested by these monstrosities.

Yes. Sorry.

Full car parks, or those a hike away from the shop I'd like to visit hardly make the retail experience 'convenient'. No wonder Strand Street is dying.

Clicky

Theyll be recruiting more PC Flats as well will they?

Just in case of shoplifters etc

Christ the corpy have done absolutely f**k all for retailers for 25 years but now the shops are totally empty they're going to tart them up and paint lovely displays in the window so that no body can go in there.

Perhaps these retail f**king geniuses could also dress a load of mannequins and cement them into Strand Street so that it looks like they have shoppers as well.

Yes. Sorry.

Full car parks, or those a hike away from the shop I'd like to visit hardly make the retail experience 'convenient'. No wonder Strand Street is dying.

Were the trays for your new pie making business ?

I've just been into Douglas to get some foil pie trays. No wonder people buy from the internet - it's virtually impossible to park!

First try was Chester Street, but cars were queuing all the way to the bottom of the ramp, so aborted that plan. Went to M&S car park which indicated that spaces were available - a complete lie with around 20 cars circulating and pouncing on people pulling out (I'm surprised nobody has been maimed in a fight), so drove along the prom - same scenario there with a crawler lane of 'pouncers'. Was just about to abort my pie quest when a space came up by the bottleneck.

Now, the health police will say I should have walked into town anyway - but that's not addressing the issue. Hundreds of people made miserable (including the shopkeepers) by a complete lack of parking on a Saturday. Lateral thought - open the prom walkway to cars at weekends, and encourage the corporates to open their spaces (hundreds empty but secured) - donate the money raised to charity if you like!

Edited to add: The out of town sites (retail parks) do well because you can pull up at the door and do your shopping. It's not rocket science - we like cars and want to use them!

Loads of parking in Douglas! Try Shaw's Brow next time

Pictures showing a full shop with loads of people are in my opinion, a good stop gap idea.

Yes, they're showing a false situation which gets on my wotsits as there should ideally be something there, but I think its trying to make the place look lively instead of an empty shell.

I've seen some ugly places like this where the main shops include a large supermarket, takeaways and loads of charity shops. These places feel dead and drab as if the very heart and soul of the community have been torn out, leaving that empty soulless shell.

So as a stop gap, I think its a good quick fix idea instead of displaying an empty store, but real shops need to urgently take its place to avoid a gloomy shopping area.

Are you talking about Ramsey?????????

:ermm:

Woolies the lease has been paid by the recievers untill 2018, Mayleys 2015 these shops could be let out, but the greedy owners want payment on top, they could help out by allowing new ventures to use the units untill the paid up leases run out, but they wont. I know for a fact that Mayleys unit could have been taken over.

Archived