Isn't This Place Busy?

bluemonday

For years people have been buying things they didn't really need

With money they didn't really have

So this is the logical conclusion

Shops that aren't really shops for shoppers who can't really afford to go shopping

The downside is that this charade will be paid for by the ratepayers

With real money that should have been spent on something useful

Like gassing Douglas Town Council

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gas prices are still high though. You'd get better value for the ratepayers just lining them up in Strand Street and bashing them each on the back of the head with a shovel.

To truly simulate a busy Strand Street experience they should also get some automatons to walk around in random directions bumping into people and stopping suddenly.

Put them all in Adidas trackies, or give the older ones some of those tartan shopping trolley's on wheels and you'd never know the difference from a real Saturday afternoon.

The problem is so easy to sort out, a Drive Thru street in strand street.

Make it one way and have hatches in place of the shop doors.

Now worries about car parking and speeds up your shopping.

Stu is a man after my own heart use your vehicle more not less. :lol:

The problem is so easy to sort out, a Drive Thru street in strand street.

Make it one way and have hatches in place of the shop doors.

Now worries about car parking and speeds up your shopping.

Ann Summers , one rampant rabbit please

Waterstones , The Kama Sutra

I like it

I saw a news item the other day about Letting local artists display their work in the unused shops

Former branches of shops including Woolworths and Carphone Warehouse, as well as independent stores, have been colonised to house community cafes and performance art events and promote the work of local artists.

If they donated a small amount to cover the lighting and heating costs of these places then it wouldn't cost the owners anything, and at least the shops would actually be 'busy' rather than using plastic pictures on the windows. If they had some sort of art/drama workshops it could also offer something for children/teenagers to do.

Whilst I think it is quite telling that all the business to have gone down so far are (with the partial exception of Woolies) low-cost UK clothing chains, suggesting that the high-volumes, low-cost model of retailing provides only an illusion of 'value,' I have to agree that this idea is a bit silly. Yes, it may work for 2, maybe 3 of the currently unused units, but they need to be considering more options and ideas.

Perhaps one shop could have screens put in advertising local events and businesses.

What I don't agree with is Albert's assertion that the Douglas Town Oligarchy was voted in.

Gas prices are still high though. You'd get better value for the ratepayers just lining them up in Strand Street and bashing them each on the back of the head with a shovel.

I'd imagine the shovel solution would also provide a better entertainment value - and by buying local shovels, we would also support local businesses. Monday 11am ok?

A reasonable solution to this farce, however, I am confused as to what we do with dotty.

She's not a member of the council really, being unelected, so do we shovel her as well?

With or without rug?

It was such a good idea but, as ever, fraught with problems and decision.

They don't have many alternatives other than allowing the street to look totally desolate!

They can't legally force owners to lower their rents, but perhaps they could force them to pay for this scheme to be applied to their properties whilst awaiting occupants?

In itself it isn't a bad idea, it has been used in a town in the North of England to good effect. I just don't see why the ratepayer should stump up the cost to enhance the properties of greedy landlords!

Archived