John Rhys Davies/gimli

Lagman

I must admit, I have had the pleasure of meeting him and he is so down to earth it is refreshing. My children's father is a member of Ramsey RNLI and he was the guest of honour a couple of years ago for their Lifeboat Day fundraiser (and muggins got roped into helping). He stayed for ages signing autographs and having photos taken with the children and did something that really both surprised and pleased me.

For anyone that hasn't experienced a Lifeboat fundraiser, it is pretty much stalls with all kinds of RNLI stuff for sale, and a food stall with home made sandwiches and tea or coffee in a polystyrene cup. He came over, bought himself a sarnie and a cuppa and sat on the steps munching away quite happily.

I know it might not sound much, but we were all really quite touched by it.

The interview in the article you posted Lagman was really quite positive.

One of my favourite actors (and no I'm not one of those govigs into Lord of the Rings). I think his finest work is yet to be done, as his character and ability seem to be maturing with age - I'd love him to play Quatermass - now there's a film or two that need a modern remake with some decent CGI and a good cast.

I rang him up once on his mobile to let him know something he'd ordered was in.

He said he'd not be in for several weeks as he was on location in Tunisia - I ended that call pretty sharpish!

Sure enough though, several weeks later he was in for said items. Really nice guy IMVHO.

Lol, I remember when I was a lad and he had a load of ex mil Landies out at jurby, I knocked on the door, he answered and I asked if he was Brian Blessed (just got mixed up) ofc he did not take it too well :P

Archived