Tom Glassey

Topaz

I just checked into Barbara's blog

Tom Died at 12 15 (noon) today.

What a loss of a clever, warm and funny man. My heart goes out to Barbara.

"I would always make sure I was out on deck for the leaving of Liverpool, standing on the Landing Stage side of the vessel with both hands clasped to the rail. Five minutes before sailing came the blast of the ship's whilst a truly magical sound ..... chains would now be clinking, heavy steel doors were being closed and bolted. The last sound I would hear before leaving the landing stage would be the sounds of the chains that held the gangway in placing being removed and then the sound of steel scraping on steel as the gangway was lowered down to the stage. With the ropes now off, and the vibration under my feet the message was loud and clear, I was on my way home."

This seemed like an appropriate quote from Tom's Book, 'Who's afraid of the dark'.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom was a lovely, funny man I met a few times and swapped lots of emails with over the years. This is awful news, and my condolences to Barbara and the family.

Long may you rest by the Silverburn, old pal.

My deepest sympathy to Barbara and all of Toms family and friends.

His blog has touched everyone who read it.

His words were woven through not only with warmth but also a deeply profound insight into life.

A gentle soul whose passing is a great loss to the world.

Sad news indeed, condolences to Barbara and the rest of the family.

I first knew of a little lad about 3 or 4 years old who lived nearby where we were, and he used to go off to school 'across' for long periods, and many years after we moved read 'Lament for the Ben My Chree' and read Tom's book.

A lot of people will have been inspired by his writings and blog from the banks of his beloved Silverburn river.

Fair weather Tom

R.I.P.

Archived