Tom Glassey

Topaz

Condolences to all Toms Family.

Tom will certainly be missed by everyone in Castletown he truely was a character and a half.

I remember a few summers ago when Tom brought his first boat to Castletown harbour, there we were out side the Glue Pot enjoying a cold pint on a warm sunny day, when someone one looked up and spotted Tom driving this boat into the middle harbour. We all stood there with our mouths wide open and thinking WTF, as everyone in Castletown knew Tom and that he was blind how the hell was he steering the boat. Tom's guide dog was standing at the front of the boat as if he was on lookout, anyway low & behold down below deck was Tom's good friend Micky Quine and another chap and they were telling Tom which way to steer. This was part of Tom's wicked sense of humour.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only knew Tom and Barbara through this forum, but it was clear that each was a very special type of person. Dignity, courage, humanity and humour are characteristics we all aspire to; Tom and Barbara had no aspirations in that regard, those rare qualities came to them naturally and without effort.

A very sad loss and my deepest condolences to Barbara.

Tom's optimism was an inspiration, with never a hint of self pity - just the will to beat the cancer and try to encourage smokers to give up so they didn't have to face what he was going through. I loved the Silverburn River webcam and checked it out regularly; I loved the wacky ornaments in the front garden, and I loved his book - also I'll now cherish the tape he sold me when I collected the Ellan Vannin ship model he kindly lent me for a Heritage Trust event.

My deepest condolences to Barbara (and, if you're reading this, I just want to say that this is the only post on Manx Forums that has caused me to cry).

Archived