Tom Glassey

Topaz

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tom's optimism was an inspiration, with never a hint of self pity - just the will to beat the cancer and try to encourage smokers to give up so they didn't have to face what he was going through. I loved the Silverburn River webcam and checked it out regularly; I loved the wacky ornaments in the front garden, and I loved his book - also I'll now cherish the tape he sold me when I collected the Ellan Vannin ship model he kindly lent me for a Heritage Trust event.

My deepest condolences to Barbara (and, if you're reading this, I just want to say that this is the only post on Manx Forums that has caused me to cry).

I'm very grateful for everyones comments and you'll never know how much they are helping me. As for the Silverburn Webcam, I still have the webcam but I cancelled the Island Office Minder webpage that it was transmitted from. I haven't done anything about relocating it and if anyone has any ideas on how I can have it displayed without me having the pressure of doing it, I would appreciate it. It will also stream video, but again I need someone who would take it upon themselves to do it for me.

The ornaments will stay and I will have more time to tidy the garden now. There will be another book that he has almost completed called ON THE ROCKS but it will be a joint book between us both. Once I have collected my thoughts I will proceed with its completion. I have some CD's available that have Tom reciting his monolgue 'Home' if anyone would like one or I can point you to the MP3 download.

Thank you all again for giving Tom a purpose over the last 12 months. He made lots of new friends and he really enjoyed doing his blogs and chatting to everyone by email. Manx Forums and the people that read and write on it became and essential part of our lives.

Love Barbara x

I received a call from a good friend yesterday, (non forum member) saying how she'd been following Toms blog, and saying how sad she felt at his passing. Deepest condolences from us both. He'll be missed by many.

The ornaments will stay and I will have more time to tidy the garden now. There will be another book that he has almost completed called ON THE ROCKS but it will be a joint book between us both. Once I have collected my thoughts I will proceed with its completion.

I love to see the ornaments when passing by, and am glad they will stay.

Tom will be sadly missed for his good humour, and it's great that you feel able to complete his book.

Take care.

He was a truly remarkable man.

Even without the use of his eyes he managed to see far more than most of us ever can.

His courage was the stuff of legends, his fortitude a lesson to us all and our forum will be a poorer place without him.

R.I.P.

There is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said, but I think Lonan3 has summed up what I wanted to say (only far more eloquently than I could).

My condolences to Barbara and the rest of Tom's family and friends.

'Tis my great honour to name Tom and Barbara amongst my dearest friends. Although I live all the way around the world, I've have the pleasure to have visited and stayed with them a couple of times. But it was the daily emails where we held most of our friendship. There is a big emply place in the 'in-box' where my friend Tom resided most days with all his wit, his stories; we'd talk of our love for ships, the sea and the rivers we both live on the banks of... or just the mundane events of the day. He will never be out of my heart. I am comforted by my friendship with Barbara, with those two you get a blend, they are one and the same as any couple can be. A bigger than life character like Tom Glassey will still have his say, Castletown and the world... are you listening? Just wait for Barbara to launch Tom's new book! Don't be surprised a what a clever writer she is as well, it will be a treat for us all to hear from them both. My deepest condolences to Barbara, Nell, Lenny and Rosie, Sean, all the family, his friends Chris, Michael... so sorry mates... and all his other many friends.

I am so very sad to read this thread today, my thoughts and condolences are with Tom's family and friends, his words on here and in Manx Tails often brought a tear to my eye, RIP xxx

I have been asked to let people know of the funeral arrangements for Tom.

Funeral Service with be held at Malew Parish Church at 2 p.m. on Saturday March 14th followed by internment

Enquiries and Floral Tributes to Cringle and Co tel 01624824134 or 01624833602. Memorial Donations in lieu of flowers may be made to

Rebecca House

c/o Hospice

Isle of Man

Strang Road

Douglas

A retiring collection will be made aat the Funeral Service

If the funeral is as large as Toms fathers last year, the church was full but there is a balcony that held just a few people

If anyone requires anymore details or info they can put it on this thread of PM me.

Thankyou

Barbara

P.S. Thanks for reminding me RAB

I have been asked to let people know of the funeral arrangements for Tom.

Funeral Service with be held at Malew Parish Church at 2 p.m. on Saturday March 14th followed by internment

Enquiries and Floral Tributes to Cringle and Co tel 01624824134 or 01624833602. Memorial Donations in lieu of flowers may be made to

Rebecca House

c/o Hospice

Isle of Man

Strang Road

Douglas

A retiring collection will be made aat the Funeral Service

If the funeral is as large as Toms fathers last year, the church was full but there is a balcony that held just a few people

If anyone requires anymore details or info they can put it on this thread of PM me.

Thankyou

Barbara

P.S. Thanks for reminding me RAB

Hi Barbara, it was with interest I 'googled' Cringle & Co, & further down the list was a discription of a 'cringle'. Its a small ring or grommet of rope or metal, fastened to the edge of a boat sail. How uncanny is that knowing Tommys love of boats & sailing!!!!!

I hope everything goes well tomorrow & we will be thinking of you all. Pauline, Colin & Mum XXXX

Today I am sure that Ellan Vannin, the Beautiful Isle of Somewhere, will be singing with all the Angels in Heaven in celebration of Tom's life. Tom, I'm certain that Barbara has made sure every detail is perfect in hounour of her never-ending Love for you. Rest in Peace, Dear Friend until we all join you on that most Beautiful Isle.

I am very saddened to hear this news today as I have been off the island during the last week just returning this afternoon.

Tom has been a great inspiration to all of us - a truly wonderful man who perceived far more than those of us with sight could possibly see. His brilliant writing is a joy to read. His brave and courageous fight has surely brought comfort to many.

Barbara my thoughts and prayers are with you and all the family. I included Tom in my prayers at Evensong at All Saints' this evening. You know that you will meet him again.

Archived