[BBC News] Permit scrutiny to protect jobs

Newsbot

Just admin? well well......Manx jobs for Manx workers...my arse, the Manx are not the most cost effective/efficient workers, it is stupid to give an unsuitable person a job just because of their nationality. I'm all for protecting the Isle of Man but it's hardly the working people it needs protecting from.

I was in the benefit office today, looked like there were loads of people queuing for benefit, I don't know how it works, do they still have to 'sign on' every week? or could they all be new signers?

Just admin? well well......Manx jobs for Manx workers...my arse, the Manx are not the most cost effective/efficient workers, it is stupid to give an unsuitable person a job just because of their nationality. I'm all for protecting the Isle of Man but it's hardly the working people it needs protecting from.

No, its an extension of the existing policy to include admin. They already announced it for construction, retail and wholesale distribution and hospitality.

Like the existing work permit system, employers will probably sidestep it quite easily, like when the work permits were a bit harder to come by. You'll see ads in the courier for call centre staff who must have ginger hair and speak latvian and have an intimate knowledge of goat husbandry.

Archived