Voting At 16

Moghrey Mie

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But if we educate teenagers about the Tynwald and voting and stuff, come election time won't that give them an unfair advantage over the rest of us? The last thing we need is pesky kids and their responsible and informed citizenship.

I was in the generation of 16 year olds that first got the vote (im 18 now). Im in the southern area, so the school (Castle Rushen) got most of the candidates so we could ask them questions and what not. I seem to remember daring one of my friends to ask Phil Gawne about the house he and his friends burnt down and what it was all about. He didnt ask though...out of politeness.

Also, we get taught in school about manx politics in general lessons called "Life skills". They didnt teach us how Tynwald works or anything, but they did teach us that it is the oldest parliament in the world. Or something like that. Life skills was a joke.

. I seem to remember daring one of my friends to ask Phil Gawne about the house he and his friends burnt down and what it was all about. He didnt ask though...out of politeness.

You should have asked. Although I am not a particular fan of Phil Gawne, I know he would have given you a straight enough answer. It might also have enlightened as to how things were on the Island in those days, apparently for some they were so bad as to cause people to be so naughty as to burn down houses.

Do parents not involved their children in conversations? We are not highly politically motivated people but we chat about politicsy things at the dinner table (or my Father in law goads me in to a rant at theirs) the mini Bee is quite interested in the way things work. I had a bit of a thought yesterday, I was wondering about the financial troubles of the world and thought, "Who or what's to blame?" Is it crime? drugs? Terrorists? Religion? or greedy lying cheating accountants/bankers/government leaders...ahem.

I would like to see a 16 yr old candidate at the next election.

Whilst I admire your purist motivation for the above.

What could they possibly bring to the Manx Parliament? What could they offer me in terms of political leadership and strategic thinking?

Now, Local Government, maybe. Dealing with local, franky minor, issues, such as dog shit and skate parks.

Archived