Health Agreement Will End 1 April 2010!

bishbashbosh

If you want the benefits that come to British tax payers ----- pay British taxes to HMG.

Since the IOM is a tax dodgers haven it makes no sense for the British tax payer to subsidise it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you want the benefits that come to British tax payers ----- pay British taxes to HMG.

There are those who would argue that, having paid many years NI contributions to HMG that they deserve something back should they fall ill on UK soil.

I believe it is imperitative for the IOM government to be negotiating reciprocal health agreements with its neighbours - just as it is doing with tax affairs.

Our neighbours have recipricol agreements with each other, but the IOM is being increasingly excluded.

That is a huge failing on the part of our politicians - it isolates us as a community from our neighbours and affects their willingness to visit us.

As we are a tiny population, excluded from joining in with the multilateral health agreements getting health insurance privately will be excessively expensive.

All of this points to a state level solution to this problem not a private one.

The lack of EU and now UK health agreements is a huge endictment of our health service and minister. They have been asleep and allowed the IOM to miss the boat as recipricol arrangements were created around them.

Couldn't agree more me old China. As for

If you want the benefits that come to British tax payers ----- pay British taxes to HMG. Since the IOM is a tax dodgers haven it makes no sense for the British tax payer to subsidise it.

I know you shouldn't feed the troll but that's nonsense. I pay UK taxes but live here and its where you live that counts. The real tax dodgers out there just using the IOM for tax dodging purposes rarely live here.

I think this problem, the denial of EHIC and the non tranferable Teachers and NHS etc superannuation issues will soon start to impact on recruitment on the island. Whilst I can understand that one or two on here will welcome that and it suits their mantra, the whole population of the IOM will suffer in the long run.

Edited for speling

You do me a great disservice if you dismiss me as a ‘troll’. I’m not.

As for living on the IOM and paying UK tax, if you meet the non-residential requirements set by HMG then there is nothing stopping you working in the UK and paying tax to the authorities of your place of residence.

It’s worth bearing in mind that the dirty money the big-time tax dodgers pay into the IOM coffers is just that – dirty money.

The issue is that the IOM is now and for some time has been providing a drain on legitimate UK taxes. Not just a drain directly but a means of diverting taxes that should have been being paid into the UK treasury.

That is what MUST be stopped and any benefits that the IOM government of Manx people gain from UK tax payers must be curtailed. It is quite literally adding injury to insult.

For far too long the IOM has been a gross recipient from the Common Purse Agreement, well guess what. The parties coming to an end.

The ONLY option that will soon be open for the IOM will be to revert to tourism, and the increasing cost of what up until now have been cheap foreign holidays will provide a market once more.

Provided that is that the ‘Powers That Be’ read the writing on the wall and establish a strategy to meet the existing market demands for holidays, and by that I mean low cost travel and accommodation, not a recreation of what was, but what people now expect and that must include something for visitors to do. People don’t want to just look at stone walls and dandelions any more and who wants to see a big wheel after The London Eye?

Popular holidays today are about a hell of a lot more than that.

Maybe there is now far more to be gained by walking away from the Common Purse and looking at becoming a duty free and VAT free Island and getting into bed with providers of holidays who will be willing to invest in the Island.

I’m old enough to remember the ‘Come abroad to the Isle of Man’ advertising campaign.

There could be much to be gained by adopting both the same philosophy and campaign and at the same time providing what people have come to expect from the holidays they have been going to on the Costa’s. OK the weather is a thing that can’t be changed though the effects of Global Climate Change may work to advantage.

But on the basis that you can never loose money by relying on the bad taste of the British public maybe a close look at what a few of the med resorts provide just what will be needed now the Financial Sector is drinking at the Last Chance Saloon – and it is.

Say what you like about popular Tourism and the lack of sophistication of places like Benidorm and Ibiza and water parks, theme pubs, fish and chips and pints of vodka and Red Bull (really!) it beats the hell out of unemployment and poverty.

But the thing is don't we pay into a unified National Insurance scheme. I don't have an IOM national insurance number, I got one when a student in the UK and have kept it ever since. I thought the whole point was that the IOM and UK systems were unified so allowing the reciprocal agreement. It goes into a common pot. Or am I out of date?

But the thing is don't we pay into a unified National Insurance scheme. I don't have an IOM national insurance number, I got one when a student in the UK and have kept it ever since. I thought the whole point was that the IOM and UK systems were unified so allowing the reciprocal agreement. It goes into a common pot. Or am I out of date?

I had to sign-on in the UK once (around 1996) and provided my Manx NI number - It didn't come up on their system and I had to apply for a UK NI number. I was also told that I was not eligible for full payment from the DHSS as I hadn't 'paid into the system'. Had to jump through a few hoops to get anywhere and eventually got income support but not the full amount.

It might have been updated now though.

if you meet the non-residential requirements set by HMG then there is nothing stopping you working in the UK and paying tax to the authorities of your place of residence.

Not quite as simple as that. You pay UK income tax on UK income. If resident here, then you pay tax on your wordwide income here. HMRC then deduct the amount already paid here on the UK bit, but as their top rate is 40% and ours is 18% there is always some that stays over there. So I pay UK tax and live here and its where you are resident (actually where your NI record is) which will decide if you get charged from April 2010.

I still maintain that the big tax dodgers of the UK system benefitting from having money here (and I agree with you, that they are significant) don't live here and won't be affected. They will therefore likely have the benefit of UK tax payer for healthcare whilst avoiding their tax at home. Thats the problem I had with your original short post which was too simplistic.

Don't underestimate an insurance companies desire to make money rather than look after you Bees. If you are young and have no pre-existing problems (or big claims) then fine. If not, you are at the mercy of some faceless suit across who really doesn't care whether you live or die. Sorry if that sounds a bit melodramatic but since loosing my licence to work in 2002 due to a relatively minor condition, I have seen the other side of medical insurance. Broken bones? - no problem 6 weeks later you are ok and they will pay. Something longer term that will cost them significant money and they will try every semi-legal trick to get out of paying (or even covering you in the first place.) This is a much bigger problem than most people (OK a generalisation, but applies to those I have spoken to) realise. We are so used to that fabulous NHS umbrella!

The only way forward from this is the IOM Gov to have their own insurance scheme for all residents valid in any EU/Schengen state. Spread over 80,000 people, it would not cost a fortune per head and lets face it, they are doing that alredy if you fall ill/have an accident here.

Eddie Teare - You need to sort this problem asap. Its only a year to go! PS Next time I email you with a serious point, how's about a ***ing answer? I know you received it 'cos your secretary said so......

Mr Teare not answering correspondence... that's nothing new

Since the IOM is a tax dodgers haven it makes no sense for the British tax payer to subsidise it.

We pay for defence and international representation - I'd be up for the IOMG paying a bit more for health cover in the UK.

You do me a great disservice if you dismiss me as a ‘troll’. I’m not.

As for living on the IOM and paying UK tax, if you meet the non-residential requirements set by HMG then there is nothing stopping you working in the UK and paying tax to the authorities of your place of residence.

It’s worth bearing in mind that the dirty money the big-time tax dodgers pay into the IOM coffers is just that – dirty money.

The issue is that the IOM is now and for some time has been providing a drain on legitimate UK taxes. Not just a drain directly but a means of diverting taxes that should have been being paid into the UK treasury.

That is what MUST be stopped and any benefits that the IOM government of Manx people gain from UK tax payers must be curtailed. It is quite literally adding injury to insult.

For far too long the IOM has been a gross recipient from the Common Purse Agreement, well guess what. The parties coming to an end.

The ONLY option that will soon be open for the IOM will be to revert to tourism, and the increasing cost of what up until now have been cheap foreign holidays will provide a market once more.

Provided that is that the ‘Powers That Be’ read the writing on the wall and establish a strategy to meet the existing market demands for holidays, and by that I mean low cost travel and accommodation, not a recreation of what was, but what people now expect and that must include something for visitors to do. People don’t want to just look at stone walls and dandelions any more and who wants to see a big wheel after The London Eye?

Popular holidays today are about a hell of a lot more than that.

Maybe there is now far more to be gained by walking away from the Common Purse and looking at becoming a duty free and VAT free Island and getting into bed with providers of holidays who will be willing to invest in the Island.

I’m old enough to remember the ‘Come abroad to the Isle of Man’ advertising campaign.

There could be much to be gained by adopting both the same philosophy and campaign and at the same time providing what people have come to expect from the holidays they have been going to on the Costa’s. OK the weather is a thing that can’t be changed though the effects of Global Climate Change may work to advantage.

But on the basis that you can never loose money by relying on the bad taste of the British public maybe a close look at what a few of the med resorts provide just what will be needed now the Financial Sector is drinking at the Last Chance Saloon – and it is.

Say what you like about popular Tourism and the lack of sophistication of places like Benidorm and Ibiza and water parks, theme pubs, fish and chips and pints of vodka and Red Bull (really!) it beats the hell out of unemployment and poverty.

I think the fact that tax avoiding is legitimatly allowed in the UK is where the UK Gvt should start. It should be much easier to say - "oi Tesco, you can't register this, that and the other in a foreign jurisdiction and then operate in the UK." If they say "yes we can, look" you simply legistlate against the loop hole to make it illegal.

That's got to be easier than attacking where the money legitimatly ends up?!

Archived