Murders In Northern Ireland

Chinahand

I feel very sad about the murders that have happened in Northern Ireland recently.

I cannot see what the rejectionist republican factions think they will gain. This is a deliberate, cold blooded attack - no red mist lashing out - so the perpertrators must see some sort of political logic to it beyond just killing.

I can't see any good will come from this - more deaths - and real risks to what was becoming a semi-successful route to a constitutional settlement.

Makes no sense to me.

They are all rubbish terrorists, group of twelve teenagers with guns and the cloak of a troubled past, bunch of idiots - reminds me of the Life of Brian, The real IRA, The continuity IRA, where are the peoples Front of the IRA? It was very sad to see the politicians bickering about how 'un-disgusted' the old IRA were with it all, how could they be anything else? I thought Gerry Adams comments were firm and fair, cannot really ask for more than that.

I feel very sad about the murders that have happened in Northern Ireland recently.

I cannot see what the rejectionist republican factions think they will gain. This is a deliberate, cold blooded attack - no red mist lashing out - so the perpertrators must see some sort of political logic to it beyond just killing.

I can't see any good will come from this - more deaths - and real risks to what was becoming a semi-successful route to a constitutional settlement.

Makes no sense to me.

But the Real IRA never wanted the settlement that has come about. But I don't think this was just some opportunistic killing, but I wonder why it happened now.

I can't see any good will come from this

I don't see any good normally comes from the chickenshit, cold blooded murder of someone just going about their job.

Sad indeed.

The cowardly bastards are hoping for a backlash response, and a raising of security and investigation in order that they can scream about the British military presence on Irish soil. They want to destabilise the new Police force so that they can be portrayed as lackeys of the Crown.

Best that investigations are carried out normally without declaring a state of emergency, and falling for the same tactics again!

But the Real IRA never wanted the settlement that has come about. But I don't think this was just some opportunistic killing, but I wonder why it happened now.

There was a news story last week that an SAS team were working in Northern Ireland on security matters, causing some anger amongst republicans

Guardian Story

I would imagine this prompted the killings.

you have to have the utmost respect for any nations foot soldiers {apart from conscripts} its a job for those that do actually give a fuck about their nation and their societies and not one because of the financial benefits as there are not any imo commensorate to risk..

i hope the sas put a lump of lead behind each and every one of the murderers ears on the quiet.

no point in jailing them for life .. and then letting them free after 2 or 3 years for political reasons enough is enough.

I can't see any good will come from this

I don't see any good normally comes from the chickenshit, cold blooded murder of someone just going about their job.

Sad indeed.

Depends on who you are killing, what their job is, and why you want to kill them. What exactly will these guys achieve though? The Provos and INLA used these tactics for a very long time on a large scale and realised their aims could not be achieved, so I wonder what the aims of the Real IRA are now.

you have to have the utmost respect for any nations foot soldiers {apart from conscripts} its a job for those that do actually give a fuck about their nation and their societies and not one because of the financial benefits as there are not any imo commensorate to risk..

But giving a fuck about one's nation and being misguided to think that society is served by being a foot soldier is not something that commands respect. What sort of respect are you talking about?

It depends on what role soldiers are taking and why they are there are to whether they should be taken down or not.

There was a news story last week that an SAS team were working in Northern Ireland on security matters, causing some anger amongst republicans

Guardian Story

Not quite an "sas team"

It was ex 14th int and ex sas int people called in as they are experts on spaky terrorists.

Any non moron can see calling in some people for their experience and knowledge shouldnt cause "anger"...

If some of the republicans are doing nothing wrong then they what do they have to worry about....

IMO this is the mongy ira doing a show of force. ie. look how mental we are, we can kill army and police. Probably to put the other crime gangs in NI in their place.

Guardian Story

the sas/covet ops are there more than u think just sat watching and keeping an eye out, thay have never left,

Guardian Story

I don't think it's that simple - there has just been a general rise in activity (15 bombs/booby attacks etc. since November), thus prompting the request for the special (int) forces. Whoever has then exploited the deployment of forces in an attempt to 'stoke the fire'.

I was in NI in the last few days. There is almost universal disgust at what has happened. People clearly believe that this is an attempt by a very small minority to drive a wedge into the peace process. Sir Hugh Orde and the NI politicians have an incredibly difficult situation to handle. The aim of RIRA or CIRA, or whatever the handful of deficient individuals call themselves, is to use targeted murder to try and provoke what may be seen as an 'over-reaction' by the Police and possibly the Army. This has always been the aim of terrorists - to create responses to violence that divide communities.

The politicians and the PSNI have to somehow deal with terrorist murder and maintain the peace process.

At least SF are telling people to give information to the PSNI and I have just heard two arrests (a 37 yo and a 17 yo male) have been made - let's hope they have got them.

there never will ever be peace in NI, the way the generations are brought up to hate each side, its mad ness, but so is the world, it might go quiet, but it never stop, not in the next few life times,

makes u glad to be manx, when u go there, it helps

I don't totally discount what you say - but don't forget the hatred to the Germans and Japanese during and immediately after the 2nd world war.

I still cannot comprehend why education is segregated in NI - stop communities living separate lives; mix youngsters together to get mixed marriages; and ensure political and economic aspirations aren't sectarian and hardenned attitudes may well soften.

Having Sin Fein calling for cooperation with the police is a big step forward - getting the police to seen as neutral and serving all communities is vital, and has come on a huge amount in a very short time.

Archived