Goodbye Ramsey

GD4ELI

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The difference between weather and climate is a measure of time. Weather is what conditions of the atmosphere are over a short period of time, and climate is how the atmosphere "behaves" over relatively long periods of time.

It's the difference between the clothes you're wearing, and the ones in your wardrobe.

Taking this seriously - has the IOM government commissioned a map of the IOM with the sea at current storm highwater + 1m?

Plus what are the hydrological affects of this on our river systems at full flood. Its putting a huge amount of extra water in at the bottom of the system and with no large lakes etc to damp the system I can't see how that won't result in water upstream rising as well as it seaches for an alternative way out.

The difference between weather and climate is a measure of time. Weather is what conditions of the atmosphere are over a short period of time, and climate is how the atmosphere "behaves" over relatively long periods of time.

It's the difference between the clothes you're wearing, and the ones in your wardrobe.

What has Jeans and a Jumper v flairs, cords, gliding collar shirts, platform shoes and a Bay City Rollers scarf got to do with anything?

Taking this seriously - has the IOM government commissioned a map of the IOM with the sea at current storm highwater + 1m?

Plus what are the hydrological affects of this on our river systems at full flood. Its putting a huge amount of extra water in at the bottom of the system and with no large lakes etc to damp the system I can't see how that won't result in water upstream rising as well as it seaches for an alternative way out.

I think we should get Stu Peters & Mandate / Talking heads involved. Stu's a well-known tree-hugger :)

Wilddog's post appeared to deny sea level rise due to climate change because we had a crappy summer, unless I misunderstood?

Nope, I don't see anywhere that I denied sea level rise due to climate change. Infact I had to write a paper on it not so long ago that was included in a dissertation for a uni course I was doing.

You clearly misunderstood.

You are correct. I'm sure that everyone already knows that all land drains flow into the sea. They are usually directed straight out to sea through a large trench like the Lhen trench. When the tides are at their highest the water can't get out of the trench as the sea is stopping it and washing back into it, so it backs up.

The same can be said for all the stormwater drains that flow into the harbours. The tides are bigger now than when these were installed and the big tides cover the outlets so everything backs up the drains and flooding occurs.

I doubt the Isle of Man Government would even bother to look at the situation seriously as it would cost a fortune to raise all the storm drains to a suitable level, it would be a mammoth task and probably never be considered as some would have to be lifted to near, if not road level

They'll just let the flooding keep on flooding....

Nope, I don't see anywhere that I denied sea level rise due to climate change. Infact I had to write a paper on it not so long ago that was included in a dissertation for a uni course I was doing.

You clearly misunderstood.

That's good. Can you explain what you meant then?

That's good. Can you explain what you meant then?

Yes I'll gladly meet up with you and explain to you what I meant.

Where and when? Not tonight as I have something on, but any time over the weekend?

Yes I'll gladly meet up with you and explain to you what I meant.

Where and when? Not tonight as I have something on, but any time over the weekend?

Why are you being weird? I'm just trying to understand what you meant.

Archived