One Man To Blame For Problems With Mea - Bell

%age

To be fair, there are highly paid and pensionable Civil Servants to do all that.

Still . . . the members are there to take the flak and acting accordingly. The Manx way of giving flak usually involves backslapping and dinners so no harm ever done there. The acting accordingly bit is a little more difficult. Well, heads don't roll over here irrespective of the dodginess and incompetence that might have gone on. People are, however, sometimes removed, but only if there is a humongous payout (and pension) involved.

Or so it seems to me or am I fucken way adrift or what.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John Faragher - stop making libellous comments.

The funds for the wind farm were spent on the power-station, the gas project and the telecoms projects.

The MEA affair is not about money going anywhere - its known where the money went - it is about lack of oversight. A project cost more than expected - and the powers that be claimed not to know this - though they approved the accounts year on year out - and they also say they knew nothing about the MEA independently raising the funds to complete the project. Maybe but its a small island and people talk, plus nobody ever picked up a phone to enquire or complain - even though they went to regular meetings etc year in and year out.

The funds for the wind farm were spent on the power-station, the gas project and the telecoms projects.

On whose authority Mr Chinahand?

...but its a small island and people talk, plus nobody ever picked up a phone to enquire or complain - even though they went to regular meetings etc year in and year out.

Never mind the anecdotal "small island" jungle drums bollocks, they're no basis for running a multi-million pound project. These meetings, presumably they were at least monthly? During these meetings that did take place, presumably the MEA presented their SWOT's, Financials, Schedule A, CPA's etc etc to "the powers that be" as you put it? Including the VERY obvious fact that there was going to be a MASSIVE financial shortfall?

Or not as the case might be...

When I lived over near Kirk Michael the MEA were putting in the gas pipeline, before this there was a public meeting at the Mount Murray where all landowners who would be affected were invited to attend...I stood up and announced Profitt by name Profitt by nature to which he (Mike Profitt) went red and babbled quietly some shite...and hey ho I was barracked by all the other landowners who were blinded by the £ signs flashing in front of their eyes...so not only was it that greedy twat Mike Profitt's fault but amidst the blame would be other high ranking MEA staff and and MHK's and more significantly the greedy bastard farmers/landowners who can think no further than a crop rotation....shame on them! for they msut and shall remember that their children will inherit the earth and their choices will in time to come make them become the enemy of their own children.

Maybe the MEA needed all that extra money to buy Manx Telecom?

This is from the PKF report:

14.12 The progress of the Skyward Committee’s objectives has been summarised as follows by Dr Retief. In respect of the first three objectives the research and development phase is now complete and we are informed Skyward is ready to commence commercial roll-out. The Skyward Committee has investigated the possibility of acquiring Manx Telecom but have been told that it is not for sale by its owners, mm02, unless a significant premium is paid.

£300M would probably have bought it.

Erm on the authority of the MEA.

Never mind the anecdotal "small island" jungle drums bollocks, they're no basis for running a multi-million pound project.

I've never said it was - but the DTI and the treasury toddled along to these meetings - what were they doing? Chewing their pencils and eating the biscuits. Sure Proffitt's got to take a share of the blame, maybe a major part of it - but I think Bell is talking shite when he says its all down to him.

The problems were deep seated and known about for years - Bell mentions the spat about the Financial regulations - but that blew up years before the loans - and the Government was directly involved in letting it fester.

aye it appears that he actually authorised the loans himself in a way.

as he was/is a director of the barclays investment vehicle .. what is not in dispute is that he borrowed without treasury approval from his alternate employers barclays international and only informed the board of directors of the mea of his involvement with barclays the day before the loans were signed off.... is their anyone out there that truly believes he didnt fuck us all in the ass and then kiss us goodbye.

Erm on the authority of the MEA.

"DTI chief executive Chris Corlett admitted that he was 'somewhat surprised' to discover that £10 million earmarked for a wind farm project had, in effect, been spent elsewhere.

Steve Rodan, chairman of the select committee investigating the MEA loans affair, put it to the witness: 'He (Mr Proffitt] was rather leading you by the nose.'

Mr Corlett nodded his assent."

The CE of the DTI didn't know where £10m had gone - WTF?

Never mind the anecdotal "small island" jungle drums bollocks, they're no basis for running a multi-million pound project.

I've never said it was - but the DTI and the treasury toddled along to these meetings - what were they doing? Chewing their pencils and eating the biscuits. Sure Proffitt's got to take a share of the blame, maybe a major part of it - but I think Bell is talking shite when he says its all down to him.

So once again - what was the frequency of these meetings and what information was being imparted?

I personally think they were probably being seagulled....

BTW, did you think John Faragher was being "libellous" by claiming someone was "talking shite"?

as he was/is a director of the barclays investment vehicle .. what is not in dispute is that he borrowed without treasury approval from his alternate employers barclays international and only informed the board of directors of the mea of his involvement with barclays the day before the loans were signed off.... is their anyone out there that truly believes he didnt fuck us all in the ass and then kiss us goodbye.

Manxman2 that is totally and utterly untrue - Proffitt declared his interest, was not involved in the selection of the bank, and recussed himself from the meeting where the final decision was taken. His interest was declared in the board minutes and known of throughout.

greedy bastard farmers/landowners who can think no further than a crop rotation....shame on them! for they msut and shall remember that their children will inherit the earth and their choices will in time to come make them become the enemy of their own children.

then again, if somebody offers you £30, u aint going to say no no just give me £10 are you,

i know some land owners that got bugger all for it, and then there were some that got a lot and i mean a lot, but if there going to give it out, u not going to say no, so cant blame them really,

and it kept me in work for a while, so i wasnt complaining

The MEA affair is not about money going anywhere - its known where the money went - it is about lack of oversight. A project cost more than expected - and the powers that be claimed not to know this - though they approved the accounts year on year out - and they also say they knew nothing about the MEA independently raising the funds to complete the project. Maybe but its a small island and people talk, plus nobody ever picked up a phone to enquire or complain - even though they went to regular meetings etc year in and year out.

I was just asking a question! about something i had heard.....

If the money was spent on other projects then fair enough, at least I know the answer according to yourselve.

Manxman2 that is totally and utterly untrue - Proffitt declared his interest, was not involved in the selection of the bank, and recussed himself from the meeting where the final decision was taken. His interest was declared in the board minutes and known of throughout.

well i double checked my facts 2 minutes before i posted with my mlc brother. .. and lets not be forgetting proffit now employs the decision makers of your scenario .. the whole thing is a sewer .

now perhaps you can inform us of where your information has come from..

Archived