Another One, Big Pay Out Maybe?

Lee54

One hopes that the DHSS have got their ducks in a row on this one, and not been trigger happy with the suspension.

The Government may have a strict e-mail policy, but nobody seems to take much notice of it.

This is a minefield and it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Maybe you know something that's not in the public domain, but there's nothing in that article to suggest that all he did was forward on some spam. Nor in this article.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Senior-civi...amid.5075043.jp

If you do know something that's not in the public domain, it's probably best you keep it that way. If you don't, then why are you speculating with no supporting evidence?

@ thebees it might not have been someone internal who complained. I too am sick of all the jokes, images, chain letters and hoaxes that get sent to our company, and as such I sent an email to isd complaining. Perhaps they have received quite a few complaints now and have finally decided to do something about it.

Call me a no lifer or a snidey grass, but I've got a job to do and I can't be bothered trying to stop all that sort of spam getting on to our network. If it does get through, it usually gets sent around the company then everyone then sends it to all their friends. All these emails are being archived and then backed which extends time the backup takes, the amount of storage required and the amount of time a restore would take.

We have no non work related images coming in or out of our company and that's the way I like it, staff have got used to it most have internet at home.

I have to say that the vast majority of jokes and crap that I get in my e-mail inbox at home originates from Government civil service wallahs just forwarding on jokes that do the rounds.

Well, anyone caught out within Government breaching e-mail policy can run rings around it, because it's so slack.

Government tends to be trigger happy with suspensions, and your e-mail account at work can only be investigated without your prior knowledge only in suspected acts of financial crime or terrorism.

If your account has been investigated without you knowing, and NOT for suspected acts of financial crime or terrorism, this is a breach of the Telecommunications Act 2000.

There are various other pieces of legislation that come in to play...Isle of Man Data Protection Act 2002, Human Rights Act...the list goes on, and anyone caught can just let this run until the cows come home.

The trouble with Government is that they don't do things properly, which gives those that are a bit clued up plenty of room to just manipulate the situation to their advantage.

Best of luck to the poor bloke.

The governments email restrictions are certainly a lot laxer than ours. An awful lot of government originated mail ends up in my spam bucket, particularly large video files.

Ditto here. Our content filter provides hours of fun courtesy of government employees!

I have to agree with ans on this one, I have heard a couple of rumours regarding this one (I know, but these were from very reliable sources) and this apparently does not involve spam and the consequences are very far reaching.

MF mods need to keep a close eye on this thread, though I am sure they are doing anyway.

Having carried out many investigations into the abuses of corporate email and internet systems it beggars belief what some people deem acceptable to write in an email or look at on the internet from their place of work. I have no knowledge of this particular case.

I have to agree with ans on this one, I have heard a couple of rumours regarding this one (I know, but these were from very reliable sources) and this apparently does not involve spam and the consequences are very far reaching.

MF mods need to keep a close eye on this thread, though I am sure they are doing anyway.

i think this one will be a big payout! it was'nt scam and it was'nt an all government staff email, apparently he sent to a joke email to 10 or 11 friends and one of them took offence with the content, so government had to suspend him while the investigation was going on....i hope he does'nt lose his job over it and i don't think his name & photo should of been published unless he was found guilty or while the investigation is ongoing...

i think this one will be a big payout! it was'nt scam and it was'nt an all government staff email, apparently he sent to a joke email to 10 or 11 friends and one of them took offence with the content, so government had to suspend him while the investigation was going on....i hope he does'nt lose his job over it and i don't think his name & photo should of been published unless he was found guilty or while the investigation is ongoing...

Yep, looks like he'll be fine in the long run.

As I say, you're e-mail can't be investigated without your prior knowledge unless financial crime or terrorism is suspected.

However, it also hinges on what e-mail / IT agreements he has signed as part of his terms and conditions.

Given my knowledge of how slack and trigger happy Government is, I don't think he'll have too much to worry about once it's gone through the wash.

Suspensions invariably lead to Kangaroo Courts...best thing he can do is to chuck in a Data Subject Access Request for access to all data with his name on it on all PCs throughout the DHSS over 2 years to put the wind up them and throw a curve ball at them.

Section 5 of the IoM Data Protection Act 2002 is the clincher...there's even a template on their website to help you draft the letter.

40 days to comply, £5K fine and compensation if not complied with, costs an absolute bomb to process, everyone has to tip over all data on their PCs, causes complete mayhem...worth paying the £10 just to see them brick it.

Archived