Tynwald - 17th March 2009

%age

Manx Radio live AM

Some bits and pieces about KSF and all that.

Regarding Windows Vista upgrade question

The Chief Minister has announced that up until a few months ago he was happy to use Windows 98 on his computer. No irony or anything, a serious statement.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Manx Radio live AM

The Chief Minister has announced that up until a few months ago he was happy to use Windows 98 on his computer. No irony or anything, a serious statement.

It's when things like this happen, when politicians talk shit in your area of expertise, that you begin to worry about other stuff. I know that statement above is utter arse, but I don't know if a political treaty is arse. Scary.

Manx Radio live AM

It's when things like this happen, when politicians talk shit in your area of expertise, that you begin to worry about other stuff. I know that statement above is utter arse, but I don't know if a political treaty is arse. Scary.

An in-depth understanding of Computer Operating Systems isn't really an essential for a politician.

An in-depth understanding of Computer Operating Systems isn't really an essential for a politician.

Exactly, so he shouldn't offer his opinion and listen to those qualified to advise. My point is, does he do the same for other issues that I know nowt about?

Because the Govt has waited until Vista has bedded in and become stable if they wait for the same to happen with 7 DC will be bleating that whatever the next operating system is will be due for release soon and they end up using XP for decades.

I find Vista always crashes and does not bed well with the rest off the Corpy's systems, even the IT dept state that it is rubbish, andthey only use it as MS almost forced it upon them.

Because the Govt has waited until Vista has bedded in and become stable if they wait for the same to happen with 7 DC will be bleating that whatever the next operating system is will be due for release soon and they end up using XP for decades.

"Mr Callister believes the Vista system is highly unpopular and will be replaced soon"

He's got a point, Windows 7 is really a response to business not really supporting vista.

Chances are - M/soft will offer a free bump to 7 for anyone who buys a Vista from now on anyway.

As for windows 98 .. one would hope that he never connected to the internet with it, 98 updates stopped quite a while ago. How much sensitive information would his old 98 machine hold - ready for an hacker with a few spare seconds on his hands.

Just heard the news item, there's a few more inaccuracies. The answer to the question said they had to move to vista because XP is no longer supported, that's not true, XP is on extended support till 2014, you just can't buy new licenses currently. No reason why existing pc's couldn't stay on xp and new pc's go to vista.

DC using search results to justify the question is interesting, apparently 19,000 responses to 'vista is crap' means vista is crap. I get 86,000 results for 'Isle of Man is crap'.

Just heard the news item, there's a few more inaccuracies. The answer to the question said they had to move to vista because XP is no longer supported, that's not true, XP is on extended support till 2014, you just can't buy new licenses currently. No reason why existing pc's couldn't stay on xp and new pc's go to vista.

DC using search results to justify the question is interesting, apparently 19,000 responses to 'vista is crap' means vista is crap. I get 86,000 results for 'Isle of Man is crap'.

How many for Slim is crap ..? *)*)

Chances are - M/soft will offer a free bump to 7 for anyone who buys a Vista from now on anyway.

As for windows 98 .. one would hope that he never connected to the internet with it, 98 updates stopped quite a while ago. How much sensitive information would his old 98 machine hold - ready for an hacker with a few spare seconds on his hands.

just what are the problems with win98 if you are behind a NAT and use firefox (with no script) + thunderbird ? + avoid flash + adobe which are vectors for attack on newer O/S - I doubt of the Don browsed dangerous sites.

Archived