Tynwald - 17th March 2009

%age

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
just what are the problems with win98 if you are behind a NAT and use firefox (with no script) + thunderbird ? + avoid flash + adobe which are vectors for attack on newer O/S - I doubt of the Don browsed dangerous sites.

Too many to list, windows GDI style vulns for example which are browser independent, or animated cursor or other file association style vulnerabilities.

just what are the problems with win98 if you are behind a NAT and use firefox (with no script) + thunderbird ? + avoid flash + adobe which are vectors for attack on newer O/S - I doubt of the Don browsed dangerous sites.

Too many to list, windows GDI style vulns for example which are browser independent, or animated cursor or other file association style vulnerabilities.

Whooooooooooooooooooooooosh.. phewwwwwwwwwww just managed to duck that as it went right over my head !!!

:cool:

there are similar problems in the latest Win O/S's - easy options are (a) to browse with graphics turned off unless you are happy with site(personally I do this all the time - fast load times especially when javascript is also turned off (+ side effect of no tracking gifs + addverts) (b) remove most of the builtin file associations (a wise move IMO even on newer O/S's) or at least set them to save rather than open a file- in all cases you need browse malicious sites.

there are similar problems in the latest Win O/S's - easy options are (a) to browse with graphics turned off unless you are happy with site(personally I do this all the time - fast load times especially when javascript is also turned off (+ side effect of no tracking gifs + addverts) (b) remove most of the builtin file associations (a wise move IMO even on newer O/S's) or at least set them to save rather than open a file- in all cases you need browse malicious sites.

Yes, those vulnerabilities exist in later versions of windows, the difference is they're patched to fix. There's no patches to fix vulnerabilities in windows 98.

Sure, you can lock windows 98 down to mitigate some of this, but I'm guessing a home pc isn't set up like that.

Just heard the news item, there's a few more inaccuracies. The answer to the question said they had to move to vista because XP is no longer supported, that's not true, XP is on extended support till 2014, you just can't buy new licenses currently. No reason why existing pc's couldn't stay on xp and new pc's go to vista.

Asides from Support (which isn't a problem) - did they mention what the dying need to upgrade is? I mean, a large corporation would need to put forward a rock-solid business case for such an upgrade, I'd be interested in seeing that.

Has the project started already?

http://www.2e2.com/case/isle-of-man.php

Vista project

* Technical architecture

* Desktop PC design

* Bespoke E-learning user training solution for Vista

* Hardware refresh (PC rollout and memory upgrades)

DC using search results to justify the question is interesting, apparently 19,000 responses to 'vista is crap' means vista is crap. I get 86,000 results for 'Isle of Man is crap'.

This was the worrying part. He used a number of "if you type XYZ into Google you get xxxthousand results"

David Callister was doing alright in Tynwald up to this point. Then he let the cat out of the bag:- he is a good talker indeed but also a clueless bull-shitter. When it comes to this new fangly computery internet thing anyway.

you can't even really blame 2e2. if someone insists on giving you money and your shareholders want that money - what can you do?

out of interest, vista is ace. try using it for a year and going back to xp. it's like going from meccano to playmobil

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Govt-spends...from.5080071.jp

'I am advised that the reason for the change was that the version of Windows used by government, known as Windows XP service pack 1, was no longer in support, and therefore Treasury through their Information Systems Division commenced planning to upgrade to Windows Vista as a supported system,' he said.

Mr Brown said the new system was currently being rolled out and the general view was that it was working well.

Juan Watterson (Rushen) said the government only went over to Windows XP in 2004 and questioned how long it would be before the replacement system was no longer supported. Mr Brown replied that was an impossible question to answer.

So, they're right in saying sp1 isn't supported, but they could have gone to sp3 for free, and received support to 2014.

More wrongness in answer to the Watterson question, it's not impossible to answer, Microsofts product lifespan is well documented.

I bet the 500k is the tip of Iceberg, in addition to the licensing (which can't be cheap), project fees, consultancy fees, testing software, hardware upgrades, fixing incompatible software etc etc. Still, it keeps people in work I suppose.

DC using search results to justify the question is interesting, apparently 19,000 responses to 'vista is crap' means vista is crap. I get 86,000 results for 'Isle of Man is crap'.

This was the worrying part. He used a number of "if you type XYZ into Google you get xxxthousand results"

David Callister was doing alright in Tynwald up to this point. Then he let the cat out of the bag:- he is a good talker indeed but also a clueless bull-shitter. When it comes to this new fangly computery internet thing anyway.

"David Callister is crap" however, only seems to produce 1,680 results.

Are any such numbers relevant?

"David Callister is crap" however, only seems to produce 1,680 results.

Are any such numbers relevant?

looking even younger !

Archived