Tynwald - 17th March 2009

%age

Would there be any really big problems with using more open source products in Government?

Apart from consult fees, paying big business blah blah blee bloo.

You'll find their opinion here;

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/29/egov_isle_man/

Although part of the British Isles, the Isle of Man is not part of the UK and does not have to follow the same procurement rules, Paterson explained. It is under no obligation to consider open source, or even to open the bid process up to competitive tendering. If the Manx government officials can persuade the Treasury that there is a business case for not having a full tender, then they can avoid it and just buy from their chosen supplier.

Paterson is "blessed" with not having to consider open source as an option: "I believe open source solutions are all point solutions. It is really about technology for technology's sake."

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I prefer Vista to XP. What does DC mean by his question?

I'm guessing it's "why upgrade to Vista now, when 7 is (supposedly) due out soon?"

The real question should however be:

Why are they still using Windows in the first place ?

I thought we're such a great, forward thinking e-island.... Look at Munich: Linux it is, and millions in savings on software licences along the way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiMux

Beer drinking, sausage eating Bavarians beat over-consulted e-island...

Manx Radio live AM

Some bits and pieces about KSF and all that.

Regarding Windows Vista upgrade question

The Chief Minister has announced that up until a few months ago he was happy to use Windows 98 on his computer. No irony or anything, a serious statement.

Funny that last bit cos he certainly wasn't content with an old telly he wanted one of those plasma/lcd screens up on the wall in his office, he probably says two baked bean tins and a piece of string'll do rightly not one of those blackberry thingamebob's....my arse!

Open source (Linux) seems a sensible option, especially since Ubuntu/Canonical are based here in one form or another. The French are getting into it in a big way (not that we should ever follow the French in anything).

I suppose the problem is that all the bespoke software government has spent millions on over the years is coded to run on Win boxes - having to run a Win virtual machine inside Linux might be a step too far?

The Chief Minister: . . . Of course, anybody who has a computer – and I have one at home and I am

sure most Members do . . .

The Chief Minister: I suspect that is an impossible question to get an answer to, because of course, as we

know, Windows continues to bring out new systems all the time.

If you just look back… and I go from myself: I had Windows 98 up until about four months ago – very

satisfactory. It was only when it broke down, there were no support systems, and I could not upgrade it or get

it repaired. Therefore it is a moving feast which we have to respond to, if we, as an Island which is proud of

our IT, want to keep ahead of the game, sir. I am afraid that will continue to mean investing in the system, to

ensure it meets our demands.

And for the record here's David Callister, the

Mr Callister: Yes, thank you, Mr President.

Would the Chief Minister accept that Windows Vista has proved to be the most universally loathed

product that Microsoft have ever produced? As an example – and I am sure that the Chief Minister will

probably know this – if not, there are 40,000 websites entitled ‘I hate Vista’, there are 17,000 in the lingua

franca of today which read ‘Vista is crap!’ and there are 3,600 saying ‘Vista is rubbish’, 19,000 saying ‘Don’t

buy this!’ That is the extent to which Vista has been reviled by persons who found it an undesirable product.

I ask the Question because, as we now know that Windows 7 is due probably later this year, certainly

early next year… there was no requirement, or there should not have been any need to change at this stage.

hey people - lets not get misdirected here with talk of linux and xp vs vista

this is a political debate not a technical one

one politician says windows 98 was great

one politician says vista is rubbish and xp isn't supported

these statements just mean both are incompetent and/or badly informed and someone pocketed half a million quids worth of our taxes as a result

how do we put a stop to this nonsense? oh right, we cant

having to run a Win virtual machine inside Linux might be a step too far?

That'd cost more though, not less.

Citrix is the solution but PLEASE don't let these silly MHK's think they know what they are talking about otherwise they'll start decoding on things like health, schools, etc. & co.

Cracking read so far guys, keep it up. What ever you do, don't let silly things like "truth" and "reality" get in the way of a good rant.

More!

Up until a year or so I'd have tended to agree with you, but Open Source is becoming an increasingly viable option. Most Government employees write letters, make presentations, forward joke emails, play Solitaire, attend meetings (in body if not in mind or spirit) or do nothing - they can do all those things with Linux on cheaper hardware and with more limited software licensing and support costs.

I expect that some probably do use applications that are available only for Windows - those that don't work properly with Wine or can't easily and cheaply be ported for use in Linux can be run from a virtual environment. In the limited remaining cases, employees could have Windows.

Most Government employees write letters, make presentations, forward joke emails, play Solitaire, attend meetings (in body if not in mind or spirit) or do nothing

What makes you think most Government employees work in an office?

Doesn't make much difference where they work - if they require a computer, they probably don't require it to have a Microsoft operating system.

Archived