The Wave - New Project For Old Summerland Site

John

We seem to have been trying to push business studies and IT through the business school and college. This assumes that we have a realistic chance of being a centre of excellence, I don't think we do, we are just lining up fodder for the dwindling band of financial institutions which the island attracts. 

Agriculture, fisheries, geography, geology, hospitality, port management, nursing perhaps, a good one would be project management going by recent events!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It doesnt matter what they study and i wouldnt go for excellence (IoM never has) just aim to be a well run university that offers a USP over the rest of the UK namely price or bundled accomodation etc. Footfall is the key to generating revenue big numbers mean more air traffic which promotes GDP and investment which in turn would make the whole place a better place to live for everyone. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John Wright said:

On the IOM? The only way to learn decent English is to speak it with native speakers daily.

Can you imagine future world leaders, in 20 years time, using colloquial Manx English in watered down Pulrose/Annacur/Pondy Scouse?

Malta does very nicely out of it..... 19 English Language centres plus the university. Imagine the colloquial Maltese English pouring from the lips of their students!

8 hours ago, Flyingfemme said:

Marine biology might have been a good one; plenty of water around but where are you going to find somebody to run it?

You could try Liverpool University. Perhaps a marine biology facilty could be built on a brownfield site in Port Erin bay.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, John Wright said:

On the IOM? The only way to learn decent English is to speak it with native speakers daily.

Can you imagine future world leaders, in 20 years time, using colloquial Manx English in watered down Pulrose/Annacur/Pondy Scouse?

And waaaasp.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Max Power said:

We seem to have been trying to push business studies and IT through the business school and college. This assumes that we have a realistic chance of being a centre of excellence, I don't think we do, we are just lining up fodder for the dwindling band of financial institutions which the island attracts. 

Agriculture, fisheries, geography, geology, hospitality, port management, nursing perhaps, a good one would be project management going by recent events!  

Indeed.  When I left school, I took the highest  qualification achievable at the then College of Further Education, Business Studies.

11 hours ago, John Wright said:

Never had you down as the condescending type John.

I feel a little disappointed.

• Like 1