The Wave - New Project For Old Summerland Site

John

I'm begining to think theyshould have never knocked Summerland down in the first place. Surely the govt must see this with all the revenue they are missing out on from that building. I had no idea that the AquaDrome was kept in perfect condition so it could be used next day if they wanted. It might have been ugly but it was better than nothing - and the villa.

I'm begining to think theyshould have never knocked Summerland down in the first place. Surely the govt must see this with all the revenue they are missing out on from that building. I had no idea that the AquaDrome was kept in perfect condition so it could be used next day if they wanted. It might have been ugly but it was better than nothing - and the villa.

The Aquadrome was in a poor state, it had no water in the pool, loads of broken tiles.. lot's of dust everywhere and it was being used as a dumping ground. It was full of broken tables, chairs, signs, sheets of wood, cables, broken lights etc.

The roof was leaking above the spectators area, the big solarium windows were cracked and leaking.

Similarly the plant room was being used for storage so none of the machinery could be fired up as it was a fire risk.

The Aquadrome was costing the tax payer money years after it closed apparently as the Aquadrome and Piazza level were on the same heating zone, you couldn't heat one without the other!

The Aquadrome was in a poor state, it had no water in the pool, loads of broken tiles.. lot's of dust everywhere and it was being used as a dumping ground. It was full of broken tables, chairs, signs, sheets of wood, cables, broken lights etc.

The roof was leaking above the spectators area, the big solarium windows were cracked and leaking.

Similarly the plant room was being used for storage so none of the machinery could be fired up as it was a fire risk.

The Aquadrome was costing the tax payer money years after it closed apparently as the Aquadrome and Piazza level were on the same heating zone, you couldn't heat one without the other!

As much as I loved the place and setting aside the Oroglas sheeting, it does seem that it was poorly designed.

As delapidated as it was it still had large indoor spaces that could have been used for a variety of things. I suppose the problem was the cost of maintaining, staffing, heating the place.

Think it was this order (ie of better than nothing) :

Lord street bus station, kept you dry and there was a little snack shop while you wait.

Summerland went, taking a hell of a lot, never quite realised it was as big as it was.

the Cresent went (taking the venue with it).

The Castle Mona went, bowling went, food place went, nothings been done, been left to rot.

Can think of more.

As delapidated as it was it still had large indoor spaces that could have been used for a variety of things. I suppose the problem was the cost of maintaining, staffing, heating the place.

Think it was this order (ie of better than nothing) :

Lord street bus station, kept you dry and there was a little snack shop while you wait.

Summerland went, taking a hell of a lot, never quite realised it was as big as it was.

the Cresent went (taking the venue with it).

The Castle Mona went, bowling went, food place went, nothings been done, been left to rot.

Can think of more.

Shame the Venue went. It was an absolutely awful club with usually very poor music, but it served a good purpose. Same with Breeze.

I think it is pretty poor how there is no bus station in Douglas. Those little shelters at each shop at tiny and not a comfortable place to wait.

Shame the Venue went. It was an absolutely awful club with usually very poor music, but it served a good purpose. Same with Breeze.

Don't forget Studebakers in the roll call of fallen nightclubs. With its clientelle being made up primarily of depressed middle aged divorcees, hen nights, underage kids too witless to try Paramount or Toffs and the odd psycho now and again, all dancing to shite cheese, it was more a sociological experiment than a nightclub. Not to mention an entertaining alternative for those moments when the Tardis got too boring (such as most of the time after it was renamed the Outback).

Edited by VinnieK

Don't forget Studebakers in the roll call of fallen nightclubs. With its clientelle being made up primarily of depressed middle aged divorcees, hen nights, underage kids too witless to try Paramount or Toffs and the odd psycho now and again, all dancing to shite cheese, it was more a sociological experiment than a nightclub. Not to mention an entertaining alternative for those moments when the Tardis got too boring (such as most of the time after it was renamed the Outback).

Don't think you have been back on the Island in a while. Studebakers changed its name to Breeze. Same clientele, however, but with a Chill Out room.

Shame about Toffs though because Colours is so incredibly dull. It has just always seemed to me that different people went to the different clubs when there were a good number, so you had a different environment.

AT LAST!!!!!!

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=37424

Island theme/leisure park mooted

FELTLAND!!!!!!

(incorporating the Manx museum of Felt)

What a load of crap, and the whole of Tynwal backed the idea.

Whois going to pay the costs of the boat fare to the Island, where will all these 100000s of visitrs going to stay and thats what it will need to turn a profit.

Just goes to show that these people we voted in live in fantasy land