The Wave - New Project For Old Summerland Site

John

2 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

Not wanting to appear flippant (or disrespectful to the IoM!), but what on earth would be the attraction or point of a university located on the Island?

I can't honestly see any reason why a home-grown Manx student would want to study there - unless they had no choice on grounds of cost or something.  When I went to university I didn't particularly enjoy it at first (in fact I was extremely homesick throughout the first term) but by the end of the first year I couldn't wait to get back to university in the autumn again.  I still live in what is very much a university town and there is no way on earth from a student's point of view that the Isle of Man could compare - it would be no contest.

And I really can't see what the attraction would be for any non-Manx students - unless an IoM university could suddenly become a world leader in an important technology or other significant academic field.  And I'd just add that the opportunity to mix with non-homegrown students is a vital part of university life.  Not just UK students but students from all round the world.

Getting a degree is not the only important reason to go to university, but I don't see what else the Island could offer.  (As John Wright has suggested, the IoM as a "safe" destination in the eyes of parents will count for nothing!)

I wasn't thinking of local students, mostly from the UK and abroad. This to give us a temporary youthful and vibrant population to benefit the economic growth in leisure and tourism. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I wasn't thinking of local students, mostly from the UK and abroad. This to give us a temporary youthful and vibrant population to benefit the economic growth in leisure and tourism. 

Hmm.  I understand what you're getting at but I'd have to say I'm struggling to see what could possibly attract a decent number of either UK or international students to the Isle of Man to study.

Maybe I have a slightly jaundiced point of view but I left the Isle of Man to get a degree (not entirely sure why except that's what you did) fully expecting to return there after graduation.  I did go back for a couple of years (don't laugh - I worked in the civil service!) but found the place quite boring and went back to the UK to do a Masters.  And I basically stayed in the UK thereafter.

I happen to live in a "plate glass" university town (not one I attended) and the university has a pretty good academic reputation in subjects that are currently fashionable or high profile.  It is very popular and attracts a lot of students because it is recognised as a bit of a centre of excellence in certain fields.  (Or so I am told - whether that is true or not I don't know.  I sometimes find it difficult to believe because it certainly did not have a particularly high reputation when I was at school).

Apart from having a university with a reasonable academic reputation, the city also has everything you could wish for, whatever your age, and is situated in a beautiful part of the UK.  OK - the Isle of Man might be able to compete a bit in terms of landscape (particularly the coastline), but I can't see what else might attract 18 - 21 year olds to study on the Island (and I doubt they'd be interested in the landscape anyway).

And before you counter "Well it's safe and we have a low crime rate" don't forget that not everywhere in the UK is a violent hot bed of crime.  I would not be at all surprised if where I currently live is as safe - if not safer - than the Island.  (It's certainly a lot safer than London and various midlands cities I've lived in).

I think I can honestly say that there is not one single aspect of my life that could be improved by moving from where I live to the Isle of Man.  And if that is true of somebody who is over 60, I suspect it would be even more true of someone who is only 20.  Why would anyone from outside the Isle of Man go there to study?  Sorry - can't see it.

(Just to add a bit of context:  I've been a reader of this forum for the last ten years but never bothered joining until a few weeks ago.  I was going to join earlier because I wanted to contribute to the Covid restrictions lifting thread, but at the time I couldn't register for some reason.  I wanted to contribute because I personally did not recognise what some posters were saying about the situation in the UK and what a hell-hole it was being portrayed as in comparison to the relatively light touch Isle of Man.  Yes - parts of the UK have been hit very badly by Covid, but some other parts appear to have been relatively lucky.  Neither me nor my wife even know anyone who has even tested positive, let alone been hospitalised or died.  The point I'm trying to make - probably rather badly - is that I think perhaps too many Manx people unjustifiably see the Isle of Man as being a more attractive place to live in than the UK.  Yes - there are crap places to live in the UK, but there are also places much more attractive to live in than the Isle of Man.  Throughout the last 18 months would I have preferred living in a locked-down, mask-wearing, pubs closed UK, or would I have preferred living in the Isle of Man?  No contest - UK wins.  And I think the same sentiment would be true of university students - Covid or no Covid.)

NB - just to clarify, I am not playing down the tragedy of deaths caused by Covid and I certainly am not suggesting that the UK govt handled it well or that the number of deaths were in any way acceptable.  Neither am I knocking the Isle of Man for no reason.  I'm simply suggesting that I sometimes think that some posters on these boards may have an unnecessarily negative view of the UK that I don't always recognise - or certainly not where I live

Edited by Ghost Ship
Doh! Spelling!!!!!!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

Hmm.  I understand what you're getting at but I'd have to say I'm struggling to see what could possibly attract a decent number of either UK or international students to the Isle of Man to study.

Maybe I have a slightly jaundiced point of view but I left the Isle of Man to get a degree (not entirely sure why except that's what you did) fully expecting to return there after graduation.  I did go back for a couple of years (don't laugh - I worked in the civil service!) but found the place quite boring and went back to the UK to do a Masters.  And I basically stayed in the UK thereafter.

I happen to live in a "plate glass" university town (not one I attended) and the university has a pretty good academic reputation in subjects that are currently fashionable or high profile.  It is very popular and attracts a lot of students because it is recognised as a bit of a centre of excellence in certain fields.  (Or so I am told - whether that is true or not I don't know.  I sometimes find it difficult to believe because it certainly did not have a particularly high reputation when I was at school).

Apart from having a university with a reasonable academic reputation, the city also has everything you could wish for, whatever your age, and is situated in a beautiful part of the UK.  OK - the Isle of Man might be able to compete a bit in terms of landscape (particularly the coastline), but I can't see what else might attract 18 - 21 year olds to study on the Island (and I doubt they'd be interested in the landscape anyway).

And before you counter "Well it's safe and we have a low crime rate" don't forget that not everywhere in the UK is a violent hot bed of crime.  I would not be at all surprised if where I currently live is as safe - if not safer - than the Island.  (It's certainly a lot safer than London and various midlands cities I've lived in).

I think I can honestly say that there is not one single aspect of my life that could be improved by moving from where I live to the Isle of Man.  And if that is true of somebody who is over 60, I suspect it would be even more true of someone who is only 20.  Why would anyone from outside the Isle of Man go there to study?  Sorry - can't see it.

(Just to add a bit of context:  I've been a reader of this forum for the last ten years but never bothered joining until a few weeks ago.  I was going to join earlier because I wanted to contribute to the Covid restrictions lifting thread, but at the time I couldn't register for some reason.  I wanted to contribute because I personally did not recognise what some posters were saying about the situation in the UK and what a hell-hole it was being portrayed as in comparison to the relatively light touch Isle of Man.  Yes - parts of the UK have been hit very badly by Covid, but some other parts appear to have been relatively lucky.  Neither me nor my wife even know anyone who has even tested positive, let alone been hospitalised or died.  The point I'm trying to make - probably rather badly - is that I think perhaps too many Manx people unjustifiably see the Isle of Man as being a more attractive place to live in than the UK.  Yes - there are crap places to live in the UK, but there are also places much more attractive to live in than the Isle of Man.  Throughout the last 18 months would I have preferred living in a locked-down, mask-wearing, pubs closed UK, or would I have preferred living in the Isle of Man?  No contest - UK wins.  And I think the same sentiment would be true of university students - Covid or no Covid.)

NB - just to clarify, I am not playing down the tragedy of deaths caused by Covid and I certainly am not suggesting that the UK govt handled it well or that the number of deaths were in any way acceptable.  Neither am I knocking the Isle of Man for no reason.  I'm simply suggesting that I sometimes think that some posters on these boards may have an unnecessarily negative view of the UK that I don't always recognise - or certainly not where I live

Which Glass Plate University town is that?

9 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

Thanks for that, it puts it in context quite well. 

I didn't leave the island for education but many of my friends did, most of them didn't return. I did work for a few years in Chelmsford and found the whole Essex area quite insular and similar to the island in some ways. Its saving grace for me was the short drive to London so you could be right about the island's appeal to young students. 

It may depend upon the type of courses, agriculture, geography, geology perhaps could be specialities? 

Maybe I'd better shut up about it now :) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, english zloty said:

Folk will come from miles around to study the Manx PPE. 

Perhaps DJ Cret will get down with the kids, and give them political theory from the Manx Labour Party Songbook. Interestingly Cret was on Facebook, regailing how he took the Leftenant Guvenor out on his motorcycle for a lap of the TT course. 

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

Perhaps DJ Cret will get down with the kids, and give them political theory from the Manx Labour Party Songbook. Interestingly Cret was on Facebook, regailing how he took the Leftenant Guvenor out on his motorcycle for a lap of the TT course. 

He will tutor in Contract Law

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

While belting out his version  of The Red Flag

8 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Money ? Make it cheaper than UK with all of the advantages I dont know how much of the £9k on tuition fees is locked in at that price or what costs universities have above the normal rent, wages bills etc but in the scheme of things its an easier proposition than building airships or satelities etc.

Would make the nightlife better and increase the pub count........

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TomTucker said:

Money ? Make it cheaper than UK with all of the advantages I dont know how much of the £9k on tuition fees is locked in at that price or what costs universities have above the normal rent, wages bills etc but in the scheme of things its an easier proposition than building airships or satelities etc.

Would make the nightlife better and increase the pub count........

That's not my quote!

21 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

21 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

Sounds like you got a Masters degree in "Smugness"...never knew there was such a thing.

To attract students from afar you need a specialism.............that takes time to build and requires specialist staff. I can’t see that the IOM has anything special to market. Marine biology might have been a good one; plenty of water around but where are you going to find somebody to run it?

You also need good transport links...............

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

As I've said .... English Language for wealthy foreign students, 3-4 year courses.

On the IOM? The only way to learn decent English is to speak it with native speakers daily.

Can you imagine future world leaders, in 20 years time, using colloquial Manx English in watered down Pulrose/Annacur/Pondy Scouse?

• Haha 4