Steam Packet Smoking Ban

Amadeus

Albert your moving away again from the rights of the non smoker, you seem to forget they have rights as well to not have to inhale your smoke, its that simple.

Your act damages others health.

There are an awfull lot of cigarette buts lying around outside every establishment for it to be a minority.

...and you are moving the debate from enclosed spaces to the open air.

There are already bylaws and regulations about dropping butts, but you people (yes you as a councillor) do not enforce them. Instead, as a typical anti-smoker you try and move the anti-smoking war onto the next battlefield.

If you are the 'non-smoker' you say you are, and not the 'anti-smoker' you come across as - you'd enforce the rules, and defend people's rights when you are not affected i.e. in the open air.

You're a fascist anti-smoker John, and I use that word carefully, and under Orwell's definition: "By ‘Fascism’ they mean, roughly speaking, something cruel, unscrupulous, arrogant, obscurantist, anti-liberal and anti-working-class. Except for the relatively small number of Fascist sympathisers, almost any English person would accept ‘bully’ as a synonym for ‘Fascist’. That is about as near to a definition as this much-abused word has come".

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Businesses should cater for their customers, and be allowed to cater for their customers, not act intolerantly or treat one group as second class citizens (treat as children even). And it's not ALL boats.

Single and narrow-minded half arsed argument which again is soley directed at only smokers. "not act intolerantly or treat one group as second class citizens" treating smokers as second class citizens or just telling non-smokers to put up with other people being inconsiderate to their preferences. Perhaps you should look at your own prejudices.

We're talking about the open air, not enclosed spaces here. There is no risk and no non-smoker is affected.

I'm a fascist, selfish, intolerant taker of rights,

You can only take away rights if they were rights in the first place. Every business had a right to stop people from smoking on their premises before the law made it illegal. How long ago was smoking stopped on busses, in underground stations, on airlines etc. Smoking anywhere you wish wasn't a fucking right and it still isn't a fucking right. It was tolerance, not a right!

We're talking about the open air, not enclosed spaces here. There is no risk and no non-smoker is affected.

Then go stand in the open air not on someone elses property, simple. Can't smoke in the open air somewhere else whilst on a boat then it's tough, don't smoke or face a possible ban from the premises / property in future.

Nobody is saying that you can't get off the boat and smoke, they're just saying, don't smoke on my boat.

Albert your moving away again from the rights of the non smoker, you seem to forget they have rights as well to not have to inhale your smoke, its that simple.

Your act damages others health.

There are an awfull lot of cigarette buts lying around outside every establishment for it to be a minority.

...and you are moving the debate from enclosed spaces to the open air.

There are already bylaws and regulations about dropping butts, but you people (yes you as a councillor) do not enforce them. Instead, as a typical anti-smoker you try and move the anti-smoking war onto the next battlefield.

If you are the 'non-smoker' you say you are, and not the 'anti-smoker' you come across as - you'd enforce the rules, and defend people's rights when you are not affected i.e. in the open air.

You're a fascist anti-smoker John, and I use that word carefully, and under Orwell's definition: "By ‘Fascism’ they mean, roughly speaking, something cruel, unscrupulous, arrogant, obscurantist, anti-liberal and anti-working-class. Except for the relatively small number of Fascist sympathisers, almost any English person would accept ‘bully’ as a synonym for ‘Fascist’. That is about as near to a definition as this much-abused word has come".

In the defence off my own health then yes i suppose I am an anti smoker.

But I do understand that you also have rights to smoke in your own home etc. where it will not affect my health or life in any way.

Open air.. well i agree its not as high a health risk (if any) but you still have to smell the smoke and so it there fore still affects you. Ok in a large open field, I would just move away from you. but say in the beer garden of a pub on a nice warm still day, why should I, I am not harming or affecting you?

It seems that now non & anti smokers are pushing for and getting their right to go through life without the effects of others smoke, that is an issue with the selfish smokers out there. Who seem to quite easily forget the fact that they DAMAGE the health off those around them, not just their own. You have a cheek calling me a facist.

I'm a fascist, selfish, intolerant taker of rights,

You can only take away rights if they were rights in the first place. Every business had a right to stop people from smoking on their premises before the law made it illegal. How long ago was smoking stopped on busses, in underground stations, on airlines etc. Smoking anywhere you wish wasn't a fucking right and it still isn't a fucking right. It was tolerance, not a right!

Follow your own logic before you dissapear up your own arse with it - you're actually saying the Steam Racket is simply being intolerant i.e. it has the 'right' to allow smoking in the open air on deck, but instead that they are using their 'right' to be intolerant and alienate 25% of their customers, when it has no effect on the other 75% in terms of risk and exposure.

I remind you once again. This is about smoking in the open air, not enclosed spaces.

Orwell's definition: "By ‘Fascism’ they mean, roughly speaking, something cruel, unscrupulous, arrogant, obscurantist, anti-liberal and anti-working-class. Except for the relatively small number of Fascist sympathisers, almost any English person would accept ‘bully’ as a synonym for ‘Fascist’. That is about as near to a definition as this much-abused word has come".

I didn't know Orwell was a linguist - a cunning one too.

I remind you once again. This is about smoking in the open air, not enclosed spaces.

Quite wrong, this is about private property and smoking in the open air, not enclosed spaces. You're not allowed to smoke in enclosed public spaces anyway. The Steam Packet were tolerant to smokers smoking on open deck previously. Now they, like many other companies, have changed their opinion and no longer wish to tolerate people smoking on their property. That might not be anything to do with smoke or passive smoking or non-smokers. It could purely be the fact that cigarette butts are left on the deck, stubbed out on their paint work or cause drains to get clogged. The simple fact is that they might wish to no longer allow arrogant idiots like you to continue using their property as their own personal dumping ground.

In the defence off my own health then yes i suppose I am an anti smoker.

Which is it then? - you sound like you're sat on the fence.

But I do understand that you also have rights to smoke in your own home etc. where it will not affect my health or life in any way.

Open air.. well i agree its not as high a health risk (if any) but you still have to smell the smoke and so it there fore still affects you. Ok in a large open field, I would just move away from you. but say in the beer garden of a pub on a nice warm still day, why should I, I am not harming or affecting you?

I also have the right to smoke in the open air. You demonstrate you have an unrealistic understanding of the risk in the open air. If you drink in town you'll be inhaling all sorts of chemicals (exhaust fumes contain most of the same chemicals).

It seems that now non & anti smokers are pushing for and getting their right to go through life without the effects of others smoke, that is an issue with the selfish smokers out there. Who seem to quite easily forget the fact that they DAMAGE the health off those around them, not just their own. You have a cheek calling me a facist.

The anti-smoking and unrealistic comments you are coming out with, given that this is all about smoking in the open air - then sorry but the definition fits.

Quite wrong, this is about private property and smoking in the open air, not enclosed spaces. You're not allowed to smoke in enclosed public spaces anyway. The Steam Packet were tolerant to smokers smoking on open deck previously. Now they, like many other companies, have changed their opinion and no longer wish to tolerate people smoking on their property. That might not be anything to do with smoke or passive smoking or non-smokers. It could purely be the fact that cigarette butts are left on the deck, stubbed out on their paint work or cause drains to get clogged. The simple fact is that they might wish to no longer allow arrogant idiots like you to continue using their property as their own personal dumping ground.

Just what is it you actually smoke?

Is that your answer. You can't counter the fact that a business has the legal and legitimate right to prevent people from smoking on or in their property.

Thank you.

Im usually just browse the forums and don't post, but in all fairness if you can't go without a smoke for 3 or so hours then it's your own damn fault for becoming addicted in the first place. Passive smoking is a proven health issue, so either smoke in your house so your only affecting yourself, or, get some will power.

Is that your answer. You can't counter the fact that a business has the legal and legitimate right to prevent people from smoking on or in their property.

Thank you.

I did answer you, maybe you missed it:

Follow your own logic before you dissapear up your own arse with it - you're actually saying the Steam Racket is simply being intolerant i.e. it has the 'right' to allow smoking in the open air on deck, but instead that they are using their 'right' to be intolerant and alienate 25% of their customers, when it has no effect on the other 75% in terms of risk and exposure.

Im usually just browse the forums and don't post, but in all fairness if you can't go without a smoke for 3 or so hours then it's your own damn fault for becoming addicted in the first place. Passive smoking is a proven health issue, so either smoke in your house so your only affecting yourself, or, get some will power.

It's not about not having one for three hours. It's about people like you who have no concept of risk and risk probability about the effects of people smoking in the open air, your intolerance, and no regards for the liberties of others.

Just becuase you can't see something doesn't mean it's not there. The main difference between cigarette smoke and a suburu is that you can see the shit coming out of a cigarette, and (until just now) couldn't see the shit polluting the street that had just come out of a suburu.

Archived