Marine Drive

manxman34

I think I mentioned on here a few months ago, there was a proposal by the army nearly three decades ago to do some of the work to help get the drive open.

It was going to cost £100K then I seem to remember (probably £several million these days, especially with health and safety). I believe several of the cliff faces would have to have the crap blasted out of them and be backed up substantially in some areas to get rid of most of the dangerous bits - hence the initial army involvement. Not impossible though.

If the drive was reopened, a lot of work would also have to be done on the road up to Douglas Head too. But there are accidents on there as it is now, and an open drive to Port Soderick would be a boy racers dream (as it was in the 70s) - and then nightmare as he flys 500ft down the cliff. Marine Drive used to keep the hospital busy - and the old Jane.

So overall I'd probably say it's economically unviable to reopen, and would be a dangerous road. You can get to Port Soderick easily going the back road.

Clean it up, remake the road, put up streetlights and make it a regular way out of douglas then. Anything else is a cop out and a waste of a fantastic opportunity to re-develop a landmark ! Pfffft !

Agreed it should be re-instated.They build roads like that all over the world.

It would make a great alternative to the Quarter Bridge route.

This government spends a million on marketing and still the tourists are not coming. Why not spend it on something useful for the locals?

It would be great to see it reopened. It was a top boy racer route for cars and bikers before it closed, but it was totally unforgiving, if all r platers were required to run through it averaging 50mph in the first 6 months of driving the(other) roads would be a lot safer.

Put a tramway on it...again.

Yeh a tramway! I researched the old tramway years ago, it has a very interesting history. But let's have a bit more modern thinking - a monorail - with a few open top smoking carriages.

I'm sure the Sefton Group are on the case already with this excellent idea.

Archived