Kate Hoey Mp

Moghrey Mie

It was interesting to hear Kate Hoey MP being interviewed on Manx Radio and saying that Members of Parliament don't know much about the Isle of Man.

Also she said she has 70,000 constituents. It makes you wonder why we need 24 MHKs to look after the affairs of 80,000 people here.

Also she said she has 70,000 constituents. It makes you wonder why we need 24 MHKs to look after the affairs of 80,000 people here.

It does indeed.... Turkeys won't vote for Christmas, though, so we should consider trying that revolution thingy again...

It does indeed.... Turkeys won't vote for Christmas, though, so we should consider trying that revolution thingy again...

I agree. Though that the Island has 24 MHKs for only 1 MP in England doesn't mean that the Island has more problems. Bad government either way in my eyes.

yes but in the isle of man if you need to speak to your local mhk or mlc you just go round his house and knock the door .. only time you will see your MP in england is on the telly .. in some chat show or on big brother..

theres alot to be said for being able to go str8 to your representitive with any problems..

You also of course have a much higher probability of finding someone far more capable in 1:70000.

In my political experience, and knowing several MHKs, and having listened and talked to numerous, the majority of MHKs are Borough Council standard (more than one or two are not even that), maybe one or two are County Council Standard. That's what makes them dangerous, and given big budgets to play with, often downright incompetent. Sometimes when I listen to Tynwald it reminds me of a group of primary school kids who have just taken one of their Dad's vans for a trip on the main road - and I grimace.

And of course, copy and paste legislation is far easier when you don't have ability. Moreover, there are few of them that see the big picture here, and even if they looked at the census reports properly, they would soon realise that the current IOM Plc model is not tenable, and that they are building up many problems for future generations here in terms of the costs and exposures that are increasing substantially every year.

A revolution is indeed needed. My hope is that several far more serious and capable candidates come forward at the next election, if only as a result of these very testing economic times.

yes but in the isle of man if you need to speak to your local mhk or mlc you just go round his house and knock the door .. only time you will see your MP in england is on the telly .. in some chat show or on big brother..

theres alot to be said for being able to go str8 to your representitive with any problems..

I do not see this as a good thing. It means that they get caught up in things that are much better served by local commissioners/councillors when they should be concentrating on national stuff.

I do not see this as a good thing. It means that they get caught up in things that are much better served by local commissioners/councillors when they should be concentrating on national stuff.

I totally agree with that. Several MHKs complain here that many councillors are not doing this, and MHKs are having to get involved in basic council issues.

It used to be that prospective MHKs cut their teeth on councils and did leg work etc. But most councillors and MHKs don't tend to work together here very well.

That's one advantage of a party system - which can sort such issues out by delegation downwards or by escalating upwards, as they do in the UK - leaving the seniors to concentrate on the serious, national, and international issues/aims and objectives.

It was interesting to hear Kate Hoey MP being interviewed on Manx Radio and saying that Members of Parliament don't know much about the Isle of Man.

Can you imagine if we only had one?!

We need 24 cus it's just a local council really.

Kate Hoey said she has regular surgeries and seemed to spend time sorting out people's problem.

Archived