Rip Roy Gough

Lee54

Sad News, Mr Roy Gough (mannin line fame) passed away last Thursday after a shot illness. Roy was a popular chap and always spoke his mind on .Manx Topics. Roy was a good friend of mine and many others he will be sadly missed by all who new him.

Sad news.

On a quiet Mannin Line, you could always depend on Roy to save the day. He also campaigned tirelessly against the rescheduling of the programme and got thousands of signatures to his petition.

Funny, I only thought of him yesterday morning when I got a gas bill for almost £500...for a 2-bed flat!

On the days I sat in the public gallery and Tynwald or the House of Keys, he was often there to chat to during breaks. He was very knowledeagble about Manx politics and politicians and his opinions were backed up with research and facts.

Roy was a very intelligent man and it was always good to hear what he had to say on the Mannin Line.

He will be very much missed by so many who didn't actually meet him. I feel privileged that I did.

There was a couple of others too that have popped off recently as well as Roy - Freddy Bell and Tony Beard. And don't forget old Marje.

Perhaps they could consider doing some sort of separate 'Moanin Line special' with some of the classic calls - serious and funny. I'm sure the archives are stuffed with them.

A few years ago some grumpy anonymous bloke phoned up Mannin Line complaining that the same callers were always on.

Roy's name was mentioned in particular as being one of them.

Roy phoned up soon after and was dreadfully sad. He explained that if that was the way people felt then indeed this was to be his swansong. He didn't phone in for quite some weeks.

. . . . but you can't keep a good man down and of course he soon bounced back! Different to most other Mannin Line regulars he wasn't just spouting a trivial opinion on everything and anything. He had particular areas of interest and was always good to provide facts and figures where necessary and apply them with intelligence. And certainly over the past few years, Roy would always leave his call until later on or when things were quiet, so that he couldn't be accused of hogging the programme.

There are too few people on this Island with an objective view such as his.

Indeed he will be very much missed.

A few years ago some grumpy anonymous bloke phoned up Mannin Line complaining that the same callers were always on.

Roy's name was mentioned in particular as being one of them.

Roy phoned up soon after and was dreadfully sad. He explained that if that was the way people felt then indeed this was to be his swansong. He didn't phone in for quite some weeks.

. . . . but you can't keep a good man down and of course he soon bounced back! Different to most other Mannin Line regulars he wasn't just spouting a trivial opinion on everything and anything. He had particular areas of interest and was always good to provide facts and figures where necessary and apply them with intelligence. And certainly over the past few years, Roy would always leave his call until later on or when things were quiet, so that he couldn't be accused of hogging the programme.

There are too few people on this Island with an objective view such as his.

Indeed he will be very much missed.

I agree with everything you've said, nipper.

RIP Roy.

Archived