Rip Roy Gough

Lee54

I am Roy Gough's daughter, and I just chanced on this forum. It's really good to know that his efforts on and on behalf of the Mannin Line were appreciated. He was definitely passionate about the principles of democracy and about being sure of his facts. I hope that the Mannin Line continues to be well supported and used.

He was also very active in supporting two local facilities. (I am not sure if they are charities, and I have to get my facts straight before I put anything in writing!) One is the Hyperbaric Chamber at Douglas and the other is the Workshop for the Disabled, also in Douglas. I wouldn't be my father's daughter if I passed up an opportunity to mention them and to say that any donations to them would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for your comments about my Dad.

He was also very active in supporting two local facilities. (I am not sure if they are charities, and I have to get my facts straight before I put anything in writing!) One is the Hyperbaric Chamber at Douglas and the other is the Workshop for the Disabled, also in Douglas.

Both are run under charity - the Hyperbaric chamber is operated under the Kevin Gray Memorial Trust (Reg'd charity), the Workshop for the Disabled a registered charity itself.

Edited: to add a link to the: IOM charity register for those looking for addresses to which to donate.

Don't forget the "Count", he was hillarious. Straight out of "Steve Wright In The Afternoon"

Ah yes the "Count". "Count McKenzie" was it not. Always remember laughing for about a week when half way through a rant, the "Counts" dog started playing up and he had to go as there was "someone at the bloomin door". Andy Wint I think was the compare, he had a job hanging on to his composure. Proper comedy that was.

Roy was something quite different though. Fully researched facts, and, if it was of the cuff and turned out to be incorrect, fully accepted he was wrong and then went away to find out more.

Will miss his input. Not enough left like him willing to stand up and be counted.

R.I.P

The Count is a good example as why Mannin Line regulars should not be tarred with the same brush.

The latest Mannin Line regular, David, has a typical 'man-down-the-pub' opinion. Yawn. You name it he has an opinion on it and thinks everyone wants to know.

Count Morenzi was (or is - is he still about?) a bit of a 'white-van-man' as far as his opinions went. daily Mail right wing, racist and 30 years out of date.

The best ever was the perhaps quite elderly lady who spoke quite posh and went off on tangents in the middle of her sentences. Absolutely enthralling entertainment. I really would have loved to have spent an afternoon drinking tea and discussing, well anything really, with her.

Marje was great fun too, if only if it was to get Roger Watterson wound up. It was her dog that would start barking during the phone calls.

Dorothy from Peel was the first ever Mannin Line celebrity of course, and I pre-dated Marje by a few years.

But Roy was a different kettle of fish altogether. He may have been going on about the price of a loaf but he knew the equivalent prices throughout the North West of England for comparison. Same with petrol and such. Latterly Roy directed his energy to perhaps more serious matters such as the VAT payments we receive from the UK under the common purse agreement. He also seemed to know quite what was happening regarding the MEA and other matters concerned with government incompetence and mis-management. 10 years ago I used to think he was just another Mannin Line nutter until one day I had the chance to speak to him.

Anyway, nice one Roy - you left your mark on this Island and your memory will be respected by many.

The Count is a good example as why Mannin Line regulars should not be tarred with the same brush.

The latest Mannin Line regular, David, has a typical 'man-down-the-pub' opinion. Yawn. You name it he has an opinion on it and thinks everyone wants to know.

Count Morenzi was (or is - is he still about?) a bit of a 'white-van-man' as far as his opinions went. daily Mail right wing, racist and 30 years out of date.

The best ever was the perhaps quite elderly lady who spoke quite posh and went off on tangents in the middle of her sentences. Absolutely enthralling entertainment. I really would have loved to have spent an afternoon drinking tea and discussing, well anything really, with her.

Marje was great fun too, if only if it was to get Roger Watterson wound up. It was her dog that would start barking during the phone calls.

Dorothy from Peel was the first ever Mannin Line celebrity of course, and I pre-dated Marje by a few years.

But Roy was a different kettle of fish altogether. He may have been going on about the price of a loaf but he knew the equivalent prices throughout the North West of England for comparison. Same with petrol and such. Latterly Roy directed his energy to perhaps more serious matters such as the VAT payments we receive from the UK under the common purse agreement. He also seemed to know quite what was happening regarding the MEA and other matters concerned with government incompetence and mis-management. 10 years ago I used to think he was just another Mannin Line nutter until one day I had the chance to speak to him.

Anyway, nice one Roy - you left your mark on this Island and your memory will be respected by many.

well said I agree with this

When I had a stint hosting the Mannin Line, I used to enjoy almost ALL the callers - all life is there on a radio phone-in (the reason I wanted to take over Talking Heads). It always surprised me how many people I met outside of work would say 'I never listen to Manx Radio' and then remind me of some of the bizarre calls we'd had!

I just wish more people would join in at times, although with texts and emails nowadays, even shy people can make their points. It's just nicer to have the dog howling in the background and someone ringing the doorbell...

I never knew Dorothy (although she is a legend amongst the old-timers), but Roy, Marje and Freddie were always great value - I just hope others take up their roles.

Archived