Road Closed At Crosby Again

Tempus Fugit

Incorrect.

It is an ofence to block anyones private driveway.

Confirmed by the station Sergeant at Police HQ.

The highway code is a set of guidelines for motorists, and can be used against a driver as evidence, however, it is not the law.

IN THE UK.........

The law states that a road tax payer has the right to park on any public road provided they are not breaking the legal markings of the road (double yellow lines, withing 7m of a junction etc etc)

No resident has any rights to park or stop others from parking outside their property, their rights end at their boundary. The ONLY thing that is illegal is to block a vehicle from entering a public road, so therefore IF the resident called the police and it could be proven that the parked car is obstructing their vehicle from getting onto the road, then a ticket could be issued lawfully (note that if the parked car's driver could not see a vehicle on your drive i.e in a garage, then he can plead this as well and get out of it)

If that person is coming home from work and a car is parked across their drive, again, they 'could' complain to the police, who 'might' issue a ticket, but according to my research that ticket would be unlawful.

Over here is a much greyer issue than the UK as each and every official in all parts of our government have a view on what the law means, hence a law unto themselves.

This is also taking into account that the UK laws are mirrored over here (to a degree they are) and are not still playing catchup; if this is NOT the case, and our laws regarding this ARE different to the UK, then I will eat my humble pie.

To the letter of the law though (at least in the UK), there is no legal protection against some cock parking across your empty driveway.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was a 4x4 on its roof

Good. That's one less (rich man with a short cock's) penis extension on our roads.

Just to further expose your jumping to conclusions, the driver was an elderly woman.

There's a suprise.

Good. That's one less (rich man with a short cock's) penis extension on our roads.

Just to further expose your jumping to conclusions, the driver was an elderly woman.

There's a suprise.

no wonder she had a little cock? it's called a clitoris i believe.

There's a suprise.

again

The older woman, who was trapped in the front passenger seat, was rescued after firefighters removed the side of the car.

do keep up :P

Incorrect.

It is an ofence to block anyones private driveway.

Confirmed by the station Sergeant at Police HQ.

The highway code is a set of guidelines for motorists, and can be used against a driver as evidence, however, it is not the law.

IN THE UK.........

The law states that a road tax payer has the right to park on any public road provided they are not breaking the legal markings of the road (double yellow lines, withing 7m of a junction etc etc)

No resident has any rights to park or stop others from parking outside their property, their rights end at their boundary. The ONLY thing that is illegal is to block a vehicle from entering a public road, so therefore IF the resident called the police and it could be proven that the parked car is obstructing their vehicle from getting onto the road, then a ticket could be issued lawfully (note that if the parked car's driver could not see a vehicle on your drive i.e in a garage, then he can plead this as well and get out of it)

If that person is coming home from work and a car is parked across their drive, again, they 'could' complain to the police, who 'might' issue a ticket, but according to my research that ticket would be unlawful.

Over here is a much greyer issue than the UK as each and every official in all parts of our government have a view on what the law means, hence a law unto themselves.

This is also taking into account that the UK laws are mirrored over here (to a degree they are) and are not still playing catchup; if this is NOT the case, and our laws regarding this ARE different to the UK, then I will eat my humble pie.

To the letter of the law though (at least in the UK), there is no legal protection against some cock parking across your empty driveway.

Incorrect, it is an offence to block the free access of a vehicle on or off the public highway onto or from a private or public driveway if the said access/driveway can be clearly seen to be for the use of movement of vehicles (A dropped kerb being one clear indication of this). Try the Highways Act 1986 and the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1985

Also The Highway Code (para 217) covers this situation.

“DO NOT park your vehicle…where it would inconvenience or obstruct other road users or pedestrians. For example do not stop [among other places] in front of an entrance to a property.”

To add for the UK "If the car is causing an obstruction, whether it be parked across a dropped kerb or not, it then can be an offence under various pieces of legislation e.g. Section 137 Highways Act 1980 (wilful obstruction of the highway) or Regulation 103 Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (causing or permitting a vehicle to stand on a road so as to cause an unnecessary obstruction)."

Whats the deal with people that park half on the road half on the pavement outside their houses?

We have a few do it here, cos they were stupid enough to buy a house with a driveway not big enough (I bought one with room for 2 and a garage).

I had a feeling that was classed as obstructing the pavement for the blind or otherwise disabled.

Gavin.

Yes it is.

Here's a little test for you. Wait until your car / bike insurance has run out, and park it on the pavement. When plod comes along and books you for no insurance, try telling him it's OK because it's not on the road - Oops.

All I'm saying is that I'm glad to see one less 4x4 on our roads.

And what is a 'logical logic'?

Is it just 4x4s or do you harbour resentment against any vehicle more expensive than yours ?

I think its mainly people with Toyota crew cabs and extravagant facial hair. I think he's worried that they are the Manx Taliban who are out to take over his village and wire it with lobster pots so he can't escape.

The Toyota Hi Lux is pefectly suited for the mounting of a .50 cal in the back

The finance sector will soon be gone and the dispossed will be looking for a leader with extravagant facial hair

Long live the revolution

Archived