Kilroy-silk Leaves Ukip

hollandaise

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I voted for them in the last European elections.

Whoops, your claim to be super intelligent sure took a very big knock there.

My husband would agree with you, Dave. However, I felt it was important to vote for them - not because I thought they stood a chance of doing well but because I wished to demonstrate to the government that some voters do feel strongly about remaining independent players within Europe rather than being subsumed into it and left without any self-jurisdiction, and also because I don't want the English pound dumped in favour of the euro. Those are my two main gripes about us joining the European Union and I voted my conscience. How many people on the mainland did not bother to turn out and vote at all in those elections? Millions.

I don't want the English pound dumped in favour of the euro
any particular reasons?

My main reasons are purely sentimental. I'm English by birth and ancestry, and the English pound has a long and glorious history. My mother worked at the Bank of England before she got married. The twenty pound note is very attractive. In other words, I have a fondness for sterling which cannot be explained in logical terms.

But I also believe it's unfair for Britain to be expected to dump a currency which has an enduring tendency to remain strong against the dollar in favour of a currency invented by a conglomerate of less wealthy countries in order to bolster their flagging economies.

That's why.

But I also believe it's unfair for Britain to be expected to dump a currency which has an enduring tendency to remain strong against the dollar in favour of a currency invented by a conglomerate of less wealthy countries in order to bolster their flagging economies.
Though, of course, a 'strong' £ is very bad news for exporters. And frequent currency fluctuations are bad news for industry in general.

As for a romantic attachment to the £ - well the £ has been a decimal currency since 1971. So the penny was long since replaced by an English cent, in all but name.

hollandaise: Coincidentally - my Grandfather was at the Bank of England all his working life. I suppose that there is a good chance that they would have known each other

hollandaise: Coincidentally - my Grandfather was at the Bank of England all his working life. I suppose that there is a good chance that they would have known each other

Very possibly. Though since 'before she married' is now forty odd years ago and she married young, I don't imagine she did much more than sit in the typing pool. He may have ogled her in passing though! I can't ask her, sadly, as she's dead now.

As far as currencies are concerned in general, there's only one thing which really bothers me about the whole exchange situation. Whenever I get any payments from the States, it's invariably a cheque drawn on a U.S. bank. Which takes 4 - 6 weeks to be credited to my Isle of Man bank account. This drives me mad!

That is mainly because the US cheque clearing system is so inefficient. I understand that it can take weeks even between US banks if the banks concerned are in different states.

If the amounts aren't vast your bank may have a choice of how they present the cheque. (The terms are Negoation and Collection though I can't remember which way round it is) Basically one method allows them to credit your account with the funds then send them for payment, however there is a chance that the cheques could bounce after you've spent the money.

Alternatively, I'd look at getting the funds sent as an international payment, this will cost you (or the remitter) more but at least you'll have your money in a few days.

I worked for a company for a while ago and many of the payments to us were in $US, we ended up having an account just for the $US as it just cost us too much changing it to £'s to then often back again to pay some of our bills in $.

Maybe you should open a $ account - see if you can do that with your "local" bank.

You know. Run by idiots, voted for by simpletons and supported by few?

LOL!

That sounds like a perfect description of our present government, with & without recent resignations!

Can't say I'm a supporter of Mec Vannin, but at least they care more about the nation than fleecing the public money to line their own pockets.

Maybe you should open a $ account - see if you can do that with your "local" bank.
Especially whilst the US$ is so weak relative to sterling and the Euro. Sit on the cash for a few years and hope that the US$ recovers. Especially if the cash isn't needed immediately.

I've been seriously thinking about sticking a few quid into US$ to wait for the exchange rate to shift. I had a little account in Euros over the past few years. I did rather well on exchange rates as the US$ dropped ever lower (though the interest rate earned was minimal). It was a tiny investment but it made a little profit (cf sterling) when I traded it back for £s. Right now the US$ looks like a good long term investment. One day the US will come through the current uncertainty. Unless Japan and the rest of SE Asia calls in the debts. Which is unlikely since they need to continue to underpin their US markets (and much US debt is owned in Japan SE Asia).

Right now - £1 buys roughly 1.4 Euros or roughly 1.9 US$.

Personally I'm in favour of Britain adopting the Euro. I would ask anyone who opposes British Euro membership to come up with any good reasons for their opposition.

Archived