[BBC News] Everest summit flag on display

Newsbot

Philip Drowley spoke at a dinner I went to recently about his expedition up Everest. It was absolutely fascinating and quite a feat of human endurance. It has planted something of a seed in me, which will extend to no more than watching docus on climbing Mount Everest, I admit, but the stories from someone who has actually done it are quite something.

Mr Brown said he is: "delighted that the framed flag will be on display. Of all the Manx flags in existence around the world this one is very special, having flown higher than any other."

Pah - I took a Manx flag to the USA and we were at 36,000ft.

A big well done though. People often die on that trip - even get injured and you're often stuffed as you have to be left behind.

A big well done though. People often die on that trip - even get injured and you're often stuffed as you have to be left behind.

...and yet you never read articles in The Guardian suggesting mountaineering should be banned?

The chap is a very interesting speaker and he has actually done something quite amazing on his life - well done.

I would be totally pissed off though, to have some jumped-up politician crawling up my arse trying to grab some reflected glory.

A flag taken up Mount Everest by the the first Manx man to scale the mountain is to be displayed.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7960583.stm

From article - Mr Brown said he is "delighted" that the framed flag will be on display.

All those wishing to see it should either take a strong pair of binoculars or be equipped with suitable clothing for the trek. :cool:

...and yet you never read articles in The Guardian suggesting mountaineering should be banned?

What a ludicrous post, assuming it alludes to motorcycle road racing on the Isle of Man. I don't remember The Guardian taking an official position on whether the TT should be banned or not. It has reported on the TT, sometimes emphasising the dangerous element and the number of deaths. But this is what the TT is all about, so any publicity can only be good publicity surely? And how many mountaineers lose their lives on the island every year? What with there being no mountains and that? I suspect you don't read The Guardian. And that you are an oaf.

What a ludicrous post, assuming it alludes to motorcycle road racing on the Isle of Man. I don't remember The Guardian taking an official position on whether the TT should be banned or not. It has reported on the TT, sometimes emphasising the dangerous element and the number of deaths. But this is what the TT is all about, so any publicity can only be good publicity surely? And how many mountaineers lose their lives on the island every year? What with there being no mountains and that? I suspect you don't read The Guardian. And that you are an oaf.

Thank you!

People often die on that trip - even get injured and you're often stuffed as you have to be left behind.

The Guardian have repeatedly suggested that the TT should be banned and only ever sensationalise the negative side of the races. A couple of years ago they had a typically negative story in the same edition as they praised "Britain's newest heroine" who talked 'from her Islington home' about how she lost toes due to frostbite and the worst part of the trip was passing two twins from their party who had died on their way up. I'm not for one moment suggesting it should be banned, just drawing attention to the rag's double standards.

That you suggest that "the number of deaths... is what the TT is all about" probably reduces you to my level of oafishness. And there is a mountain on the Isle of Man, but that attention to detail suggests to me that you do read the Guardian, a paper that one year included a German couple who were knocked off their bike in Hull as they headed for the ferry home in their reported number of "TT fatalities".

Well done Mr Drowley.

The Guardian have repeatedly suggested that the TT should be banned and only ever sensationalise the negative side of the races. A couple of years ago they had a typically negative story in the same edition as they praised "Britain's newest heroine" who talked 'from her Islington home' about how she lost toes due to frostbite and the worst part of the trip was passing two twins from their party who had died on their way up. I'm not for one moment suggesting it should be banned, just drawing attention to the rag's double standards.

I do not remember ever reading a Guardian item which suggested that the race should be banned.

But a major difference would be that the TT endangers not only the actual racers but also other road users who are put at risk by people riding the course dangerously for kicks during the spring and summer months in general.

Archived