[BBC News] Reminder on UK healthcare charges

Newsbot

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Isle of Man government reminds travellers to the UK that they WILL have to pay for healthcare from April 2010.

Fixed

IMO the IOM Govt should provide this cover funded by increased direct taxation. Since this is effectively money which will be spent by people on something which was previously supposed to have been taken care of via taxation. Increasing taxes makes better sense than further increasing the already high cost of living which most significantly impacts the lowest paid.

I wonder how long before the UK introduces a requirement that vehicles on British roads should have a British road tax disc. When you drive into Switzerland you have to buy a tax disc (a vignette)

I wonder how long before the UK introduces a requirement that vehicles on British roads should have a British road tax disc. When you drive into Switzerland you have to buy a tax disc (a vignette)

Only to use the motorways though, *and* it's the same charge for everyone.

Alernatively, get off your fat overpaid and underachieving lardy arses and fight for it.

How exactly? IMO when visiting a foreign country it's your own problem to organise health coverage.

Or petition for the IOM to become another God-awful English country :(

Alernatively, get off your fat overpaid and underachieving lardy arses and fight for it.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your post - but are you suggesting that the UK should not be charging for non UK tax payers and non UK residents for treatment in UK hospitals? It makes logical sense to me that they would.

The MHKs are rather good at talking about things they have complete 100% control of, or rather should have control of. When it comes to off-Island negotiations with teh UK and such, I don't think they fare too well really, not generally.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your post - but are you suggesting that the UK should not be charging for non UK tax payers and non UK residents for treatment in UK hospitals? It makes logical sense to me that they would.

What's the point in creating all that additional admin? It all probably balances out fairly well for the visitors we get here, and the visits we do there I would guesstimate.

Plus the alienation of elderly relatives who might not even get any insurance etc. Never mind all the payments into the UK system lots of people living here now have made in the past, and all those made here by manx folk now living/working across.

Look closely. The real net impact of all this is a privatisation of an element of the health service for anyone that comes here, and anyone that goes there. I think we should fight that. Eddie Teare knows it'll save him quite a few quid, and so does Gordon Broon. We are all being BS'ed IMO.

If the government were to take out an insurance policy for treatment in uk for all residents and paid for it by imposing an exit tax on travellers. Those that travel pay the tax, those that don't don't.???

And what about those of us who already have health insurance due to being non-UK resident or will only be taking a transfer flight?

The moaners (especially those on MR on Sunday) should grow up, take responsibility for their own actions and get insurance, c'est la vie.

If the government were to take out an insurance policy for treatment in uk for all residents and paid for it by imposing an exit tax on travellers. Those that travel pay the tax, those that don't don't.???

And what about those of us who already have health insurance due to being non-UK resident or will only be taking a transfer flight?

The moaners (especially thos on MR on Sunday) should grow up, take responsibility for their own actions and get insurance, c'est la vie.

Yeh but Johnny Foreigner has always been a funny bugger. We have a health service we are generally proud of and all should fight to maintain.

Archived