[BBC News] Reminder on UK healthcare charges

Newsbot

If the government were to take out an insurance policy for treatment in uk for all residents and paid for it by imposing an exit tax on travellers. Those that travel pay the tax, those that don't don't.???

And what about those of us who already have health insurance due to being non-UK resident or will only be taking a transfer flight?

The moaners (especially thos on MR on Sunday) should grow up, take responsibility for their own actions and get insurance, c'est la vie.

Yeh but Johnny Foreigner has always been a funny bugger. We have a health service we are generally proud of and all should fight to maintain.

Yer, but your moaing about lack of free treatment in a foreign country, not a bat's chance of keeping that one matey.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yer, but your moaing about lack of free treatment in a foreign country, not a bat's chance of keeping that one matey.

I did loads of years in HM forces mate, and paid OTT UK tax etc. for the privilage then, and for several years after. I might have been dying to get out quite literally these days had I still been in.

OK call it a special relationship or whatever you want, but I still don't think binning it is right - nor suddenly penalising those visitors coming here for years. There is a history there, and for all concerned transparent health services.

There ain't much more to cut IMO before we might as well tell Liz where to stick it and go out on our own completely. We seem to be getting all the hassle and none of the benefits of being associated with that soon to be British police state.

we might as well tell Liz where to stick it and go out on our own completely.

Good idea but the MHK's will be against it - no more OBEs, CBEs and all that crap.

Ditch the UK idiots and join the EU and become a nice big grown-up country :)

GD4ELI - there are reciprocal agreements all over the EU - I believe these types of arrangements should become more and more common in the future. I don't see why the IOM seems to be unable to negotiate such agreements - in fact quite the opposite - I think they have seriously missed the boat - while our neighbours gain from increasing reciprocal agreements, we become ever more marginalized. Says alot to me.

This issue will effect every company on the Island which either sends employees to the UK, or pays for UK workers to come temporarily here, and every Islander heading away and visitor arriving.

The fact is most people seem to be too apathetic to do anything about it. I imagine if our politicians don't get off their posteriors and the agreement is cancelled a significant number of people won't pre-plan and as a result there will be occassional nightmare stories after car crashes or what not.

I am frankly amazed about the lack of engagement on this issue - is the NI system unified or not? I always thought it was - and it seems to be if you permanently move between the UK and the IOM or vice versa - why then this break down at during temporary visits? Information exchage etc should make it easier to arrange reciprocal care, not more difficult - but integration is moving backwards not forwards.

The UK and Manx governments have should have the systems in place to organize reciprocal health care - in fact they do as long as its approved by a doctor before hand.

That to me says this is about petty nationalism making things more difficult for the crown dependencies than administration or cost. We should really be kicking up a fuss about it, but people are far more interested in Jade Goddy or whatever than ensuring their government makes efficient use of their systems and money. Farce.

I am frankly amazed about the lack of engagement on this issue...

I'm not surprised at the apathy, it's commonplace here. What it really needs IMO is an organised group of people, perhaps with an MHK (or a prospective MHK)leading. A web petition is one thing, but signatures need to be collected door to door to get the MHKs moving and producing a solution - either to stand their ground with the UK, or come up with a suitable fit-all insurance solution or other alternative. That alternative could even be an additional couple of health service staff and dedicated modes of transport to bring people back here from the UK - which may actually work out cheaper than insurance? Raising tax on transport to get here to pay for it would be stupid.

In the meantime this is scaring many people, particularly the elderly - due to the lack of communication.

I for one would be happy to help collect signatures.

GD4ELI - there are reciprocal agreements all over the EU - I believe these types of arrangements should become more and more common in the future. I don't see why the IOM seems to be unable to negotiate such agreements - in fact quite the opposite - I think they have seriously missed the boat - while our neighbours gain from increasing reciprocal agreements, we become ever more marginalized.

But the island has chosen to become marginalized, is currently quite deliberately anti EU. This sort of thing is the logical outcome.

That said. I know for a fact that British nationals living in France are now required to take out private medical cover if they want to be treated by a French doctor. The rest have to pay. Unless they are working in France and have paid adequate deductions/stamp. Granted that is a slightly different issue - but it does reflect a tightening of the regulation in France during the past few years.

GD4ELI - there are reciprocal agreements all over the EU - I believe these types of arrangements should become more and more common in the future. I don't see why the IOM seems to be unable to negotiate such agreements - in fact quite the opposite - I think they have seriously missed the boat - while our neighbours gain from increasing reciprocal agreements, we become ever more marginalized.

But the island has chosen to become marginalized, is currently quite deliberately anti EU. This sort of thing is the logical outcome.

That said. I know for a fact that British nationals living in France are now required to take out private medical cover if they want to be treated by a French doctor. The rest have to pay. Unless they are working in France and have paid adequate deductions/stamp. Granted that is a slightly different issue - but it does reflect a tightening of the regulation in France during the past few years.

A major difference is, that whilst 47% of people living here were born on the island, 44% were born in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Add visitors and the UK are mainly impacting their own citizens or ex-citizens.

I still say it is a waste of time, because overall the UK will be saving pennies (£2m I seem to remember) when you take into account visitors here, and visits by us to there + admin + insurance etc. with the UK ostracising mostly their own. Surely it would be easier to just pay the additional £2m - much like we pay a fee for defence.

overall the UK will be saving pennies (£2m I seem to remember) when you take into account visitors here, and visits by us to there + admin + insurance etc. with the UK ostracising mostly their own. Surely it would be easier to just pay the additional £2m - much like we pay a fee for defence.

If those are the numbers then your plan definitely sounds sensible. I would sign your petition.

The impression I got Tuesday is that Edie Teare hasn't done much about this yet.

What do you expect him to do? Why should the Island provide free health cover while off-Island? People must take responsibility for their own actions, if a little bit of insurance is needed then so bit it.

I honestly get sick of the bleeting sometimes...

Archived