[BBC News] Reminder on UK healthcare charges

Newsbot

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have been leeching the UK for a long, long time. They have effectively fed us all these years.

Now we whinge like bastards when they decide not to suckle and nurture us and look after our health.

For fucks sake, this is the Isle of Man. A supposedly proud Independent nation that has had its own unbroken Government since...... etc.

We can't have it both ways.

The Island is beginning to be found out for what its leaders have allowed us to stand for all this time.

Which roughly speaking is, as has been said before, the ginger bastard smug twat of a cousin.

We have been leeching the UK for a long, long time. They have effectively fed us all these years.

Now we whinge like bastards when they decide not to suckle and nurture us and look after our health.

For fucks sake, this is the Isle of Man. A supposedly proud Independent nation that has had its own unbroken Government since...... etc.

We can't have it both ways.

The Island is beginning to be found out for what its leaders have allowed us to stand for all this time.

Which roughly speaking is, as has been said before, the ginger bastard smug twat of a cousin.

I second the motion, about time the Island and its residents stood on their own feet. Any comeovers who don't like it can bugger off, any non-comeovers who don't like it can petition someone to join the UK.

Far, far worse things to come over the next years than this small bit of reality in daily lives.

The impression I got Tuesday is that Edie Teare hasn't done much about this yet.

What do you expect him to do? Why should the Island provide free health cover while off-Island? People must take responsibility for their own actions, if a little bit of insurance is needed then so bit it.

I honestly get sick of the bleeting sometimes...

The 'bleeting' as you put it, IMO is wholly different to your European comparison.

You are talking of two places with the same culture, a tied history and language who are all used to having a transparent health service. To many, the UK/IOM link is where families are from, where their children live or study, who all often travel to and from the UK to see each other, and where they often shop or go or just pass through to go on holiday. Even the health service staff can relocate either way easily, and their career structure is the same. To many, it's the equivalent of e.g privatising and placing different NHS rules in Lancashire than Yorkshire. Given that 44% of people here were actually born in the UK that's a lot of UK links. People do take responsibility for their own actions, but they don't suddenly expect to have to do it in what has been a transparent (national) health service for much or all of their lives.

What's the point of setting up complex rules and administration for the sake of a few pennies? It will only be a matter of time before some poor sod falls into an insurance or the 'not-covered' trap because of the inevitable administrative complexity that these rules will produce. It needs a simple cover all solution IMO.

I still suspect Eddie Teare is pulling a fast one here by his seeming indifference, and I suspect he knows that overall this will save money somewhere - surely it save it somewhere if people have to pay for insurance. I'd like to see the full model as to how this works and who really benefits before I'd make a final judgement on that. But as usual, there's no information about it.

What's the point of setting up complex rules and administration for the sake of a few pennies?

The rules are not complex, they are staggeringly simple. And they were set up by the UK government, not Eddie Teare.

The UK has removed free non-emergency health cover for Island residents while in the UK.

Get over it. Stop moaning. Do something useful.

If they had removed free emergency health care then I am sure many more Island Residents would be concerned, however I struggle to think of many examples of where I would require healthcare in the UK that that would not be classified as an emergency that could not wait yuntil I was back on the Island. Equally the follow up healthcare from an emergency I would expect to be on the Island.

I can see a few being effected who need on going medical care, i.e those with an going condition that needs frequent medical attention e.g some OAPs, those on dialysis, some on recovery programmes etc. But these are likely to be few in number and I would have tought the relevent arrangement could bemade or travel planned accordingly

Can anybody enlighten me how the average Joe Soap on masybe a weeks holiday, visiting relatives, in the UK for work is likely to be effected by the change?

The UK has removed free non-emergency health cover for Island residents while in the UK.

If they had removed free emergency health care then I am sure many more Island Residents would be concerned, however I struggle to think of many examples of where I would require healthcare in the UK that that would not be classified as an emergency that could not wait yuntil I was back on the Island. Equally the follow up healthcare from an emergency I would expect to be on the Island.

As I understand it:

Have a heart attack - go to casualty (no charge) - and then get admitted, and the meter starts running.

Crash your car, get concussion - go to casualty (no charge for medical treatment) - stay in for observation, and the meter starts running.

Break a leg, get it plastered (no charge) - get admitted, and the meter starts running.

Have a stroke, go to casualty (no charge) - get admitted and the meter starts running.

etc.

If you are correct then I start to be concerned as in the examples that you have given I would have presumed they were covered under the emergency provisions i.e if rushed to hospital with a stroke or heart attack and admitted I thought that would be covered under the emergency provisions until you were fit to leave hospital. All the follow up medical requirements I would expect to be chargeable but I would have expected the patient to have travelled back to the IoM by then

As I understand it:

Have a heart attack - go to casualty (no charge) - and then get admitted, and the meter starts running.

Crash your car, get concussion - go to casualty (no charge for medical treatment) - stay in for observation, and the meter starts running.

Break a leg, get it plastered (no charge) - get admitted, and the meter starts running.

Have a stroke, go to casualty (no charge) - get admitted and the meter starts running.

etc.

All the follow up medical requirements I would expect to be chargeable but I would have expected the patient to have travelled back to the IoM by then.

I agree - but you may not be able to travel after a broken leg for example. Whereas you would be chucked out from a UK hospital as soon as the plaster's dry, if you're an Island resident you're hardly in a position to fly / sail / walk back home.

I have checked the Goverrnment web site & Albert is right. I need to check the healthcare policies for me & my family PDQ.

This may also be a big issue for the Sports Clubs in the IoM as they will need to ensure players are covered when playing in the UK.

All the follow up medical requirements I would expect to be chargeable but I would have expected the patient to have travelled back to the IoM by then.

I agree - but you may not be able to travel after a broken leg for example. Whereas you would be chucked out from a UK hospital as soon as the plaster's dry, if you're an Island resident you're hardly in a position to fly / sail / walk back home.

Medical expenses could be covered under a travel insurance policy where once any emergency medical treatment was provided, the continued care could be paid for by the travel insurer until the patient could be discharged or safely returned back to the island.

The impression I got Tuesday is that Edie Teare hasn't done much about this yet.

What do you expect him to do? Why should the Island provide free health cover while off-Island? People must take responsibility for their own actions, if a little bit of insurance is needed then so bit it.

I honestly get sick of the bleeting sometimes...

As I said before - there are reciprocal agreements all over the EU - if you're Polish and you go to Spain there is a reciprocal agreement - it isn't provided free - what bull - it is provided through general taxation and the idea is that health insurance and services are dealt with at a government level where the buying power of the state can get magnitudes of scale AND fairness that the private sector is unable to provide.

If you compare health costs in the EU with the US with basically any statistic you like - life expectancy, infant mortality, cost - its very obvious that using state powers to overcome market failures is a good thing.

If you are 65 and have high blood pressure - bad luck Albert - you are going to be unable to leave the IOM - you won't get private insurance. That is not an equitable solution - or acceptable in this day and age.

But our politicians seem to be just sitting back waiting.

Medical expenses could be covered under a travel insurance policy where once any emergency medical treatment was provided, the continued care could be paid for by the travel insurer until the patient could be discharged or safely returned back to the island.

Everybody should look at their situation carefully. I know I am covered by the insurance provided by my bank account, my annual travel policy and BUPA (work). I think if most people look at the small print they are already covered.

One thing that interests me is that the arrangement that Jersey has had with the UK is totally different from thi I.o.M's arrangement. Jersey workers don't pay anything like the amount of NI that we pay. Not all Jersey residents are entitled to the state pension, even if they have contributed. Married women can opt out altogether, Jersey do not pay UK state pension, and there were already limitations on the amount of emergency cover available. In tha case of Jersey, the UK cutting the ties made some sense. For us it potentially opens a whole can of worms.

Archived