(almost) Top Of The Alco-pops

parchedpeas

You might not think this is a problem, but the last time I walked along Strand Street, The Terrace and the Prom on a Fri / Sat night I have seen this kind of issue first hand. Gangs of 12-16 year olds pissed out of their heads making a god awful spectacle of themselves whilst causing grief to anyone that passes by. I certainly dont want to see it.

Think what you like, but there has to be something in this survey, and for the government and for that matter local people on the Island to dismiss it as folly and made up would be wrong in my opinion.

It would be like sweeping the mess under the carpet.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone who drives a taxi around the streets of Douglas every Friday and Saturday night, my view is that the problem is grotesquely exaggerated.

Yes, there are a few youngsters drinking, a few being obnoxious and a few being an absolute menace - but the police have been getting to grips with it in recent times - and this report is ridiculous.

As someone who drives a taxi around the streets of Douglas every Friday and Saturday night, my view is that the problem is grotesquely exaggerated.

Yes, there are a few youngsters drinking, a few being obnoxious and a few being an absolute menace - but the police have been getting to grips with it in recent times - and this report is ridiculous.

The survey was done two years ago, so could well be outdated.

Anyone who has had the misfortune to drive past Paramout from 11:30 onwards will surely be aware that adult drinking habits can much more embarrasing; if only because they are supposed to know better.

Check the picture out that I have attached.

Unfortunately it's not a very good copy. You get the idea though.

You can see the tourist board using this in some sort of advertising campaign to come here.

"Come to the Isle of Man were nearly as pissed as the Bulgarians"

Lonan3, I think you'd be surprised at how many teenagers are drinking to excess and getting themselves into all kinds of trouble. A majority of them aren't drinking on the streets but in their friend's houses when their parents are out. I've had, unfortunately, first hand experience of it recently and have also heard shocking stories from very reliable sources ie other parents and my 15 year old son and his mates.

Increase the price of booze, drastically.

Finally stop arguing about a plot of land and build that proper youth centre.

If they increase the price of booze I'll have to switch to weed.

On Northwest Tonight, almost everyone interviewed (kids and adults) said it's because there is nothing else to do here. The Govt officials were trying to play it down but I blame them.

There is nothing to do.

• It is clear that the "statistics" have been creatively embroidered from a small (and, arguably, unrepresentative) sample of Isle of Man youth.
  • It also seems that a number of countries, that featured at the top of the league in previous reports, decided not to participate in the more recent one, and saved themselves further embarassment

However, I find it far more alarming (and I don't think that the report looked for evidence of this) that a large proportion of underage binge drinking here is fuelled by alcohol provided directly or indirectly by the parents or close family of the children (an accurate term, as this disservice is provided to some well below the age of 10).

On Northwest Tonight, almost everyone interviewed (kids and adults) said it's because there is nothing else to do here. The Govt officials were trying to play it down but I blame them.

There is nothing to do.

What do you want there to be?

I consider it a bogus study for a couple of reasons:

Firstly, the total students sampled across the whole population of the UK was only 2179, so that'll probably not even represent one class on the island.

As already mentioned the survey was 740 in the Isle of Man.

But carry on, deluding yourself, we all know you don't believe anything scientific unless it fits with what you already believe.

There is nothing to do.

What do you want there to be?

Hard Labour strikes me as a top option.

You might not think this is a problem, but the last time I walked along Strand Street, The Terrace and the Prom on a Fri / Sat night I have seen this kind of issue first hand. Gangs of 12-16 year olds pissed out of their heads making a god awful spectacle of themselves whilst causing grief to anyone that passes by. I certainly dont want to see it.

Seen it myself to, been asked to buy alcohol and/or "do you have any ciggies", answers a quick "No", to which there is normally abuse to follow at which point I don't give two hoots and walk on!

Last time was about a month ago actually, was just using the cashpoint by shoprite (only about 9:30pm)..

Archived