Shutting Down.

Lonan3

Bay View Hotel

Port St Mary is to lose another popular watering hole. Time will be called for the final time at the Bay View Hotel on March 31.

Last year the village lost another pub when The Station became a restaurant.

The only pub to be left in the village will be The Albert — in recent years there were six pubs.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Perwick Bay Hotel - Dont remember it

The Point Hotel - Don't rememebr it

The Albert - Barred

The Bay View Hotel - Barred

The Carrick Hotel - Barred (except for pool teams matches)

The Porthole Bar at the Bay Queen Hotel - Barred

The Station Hotel - Barred

Happy memories :P

The Perwick Bay Hotel

The Point Hotel

The Albert

The Bay View Hotel

The Carrick Hotel

The Porthole Bar at the Bay Queen Hotel

The Station Hotel

Aye, its sad what is happening to PSM, in addition to the above we've lost both banks, the bakers and the butchers too in recent years, along with the tennis courts, boating pool, swimming pool (Perwick), our town hall, one of our lighthouses (although can hard blame 'town planners' for that one !) and been on the verge of losing the Post Office too, and in turn we pay the highest rates on the Island - for what exactly ?

Thank god for the Albert !

I won't miss the Bay much as I never liked the place much, but it leaves us with just two pubs (if you include the Shore) when as said above we used to have nine just over ten years ago

My worst one was the loss of the Station PSM, had a great popular public bar, some 'know it alls' come in, close the public bar and put a resturaunt in it to 'teach the locals about good food' (apparent quote), when the other half of the pub was already a restaurant, which is now empty, although recently they've put the pool table and darts board which used to be in the bar in the empty side of the pub. Madness from a business perspective as they threw away their bread and butter money, and in the process as ever when a pub closes broke up part of the community, thanks :huh:, mind you there never appears to be anyone in there so it'll probably turn back into a pub one day ..... or, of course more likely 'luxury appartments' or a private house, one things for sure its unlikely it'll ever return to the nice wee community bar it was

Thank god for the Albert !

You say that but tbh in my day they didn't serve the best pint by a long way. Times change though...

Indeed they do, the beer in there is great these days, great selection, Bushys beers on tap and the best toasties (proper ones in volcano hot brown plastic like the old days :P )

The Perwick Bay Hotel

The Point Hotel

The Albert

The Bay View Hotel

The Carrick Hotel

The Station Hotel

Isn't that seven?

My worst one was the loss of the Station PSM, had a great popular public bar, some 'know it alls' come in, close the public bar and put a resturaunt in it to 'teach the locals about good food' (apparent quote),

It is one of the best restaurants on the island though. And if there were a demand for all these pubs, they'd still be open.

S

The Perwick Bay Hotel

The Point Hotel

The Albert

The Bay View Hotel

The Carrick Hotel

The Station Hotel

Isn't that seven?

My worst one was the loss of the Station PSM, had a great popular public bar, some 'know it alls' come in, close the public bar and put a resturaunt in it to 'teach the locals about good food' (apparent quote),

It is one of the best restaurants on the island though. And if there were a demand for all these pubs, they'd still be open.

S

No it isn't, we went there once, my girlfriends meal came with added bonus of a massive hair in it, we received no apology, no reduction, I had to eat my meal alone while my girlfriend waited for hers to come, which arrived after I'd finished mine. The food (less the hair) was nice enough granted, but I considered it to be overpriced for what it was and no better than I can get in the Bay Port Erin for less money in a nicer setting with friendlier staff.

There was demand for the pub, it was busy most of the time and packed a lot of the time. It may not have been as profitable for the brewery as leasing the property out, but that doesn't mean it wasn't in demand just means it wasn't the most profitable use for the building for the owners.

Archived