Shutting Down.

Lonan3

wasn't the Balqueen a temperance place ?, maybe I'm going back too far :(

it's a pity about places like the station, same as the Creg ny Baa, used to be more of a social club where everyone said hello when you went in

Not sure about the Balqueen / Bay Queen, the Albert was definately a Temperance house at one time, but thats a long time ago, there used to be a picture of it in the pub when it was called 'The Temperance Hotel'

Agree it was definately one of the old fashioned pubs where everybody said hello and most of the pub were engaged in the same conversation, oh how I miss it, and pubs like it :(

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bay View Hotel

Port St Mary is to lose another popular watering hole. Time will be called for the final time at the Bay View Hotel on March 31.

Last year the village lost another pub when The Station became a restaurant.

The only pub to be left in the village will be The Albert — in recent years there were six pubs.

oops. I'll shut up now ;)

The Bay View Hotel is where I bought my first ever pint. Geoff Joughin who owns, and used to run, the Albert Hotel in Douglas, was the Landlord then.

I'll nip in for a pint Tuesday.

I wonder will there be any other forum folk there?

"when I was a lad" :P there was the Electricity board showroom to the right, and a greengrocer across the junction the other side (and Joughin's had a grocery shop up around the corner past the lighthouse buildings and chemist)

And I'm just old enough to remember the wonder of wonder that was Smokey Joes, I'd be well happy if anybody has a photo of that place, few others I remember ...

Pindelfin Antiques

Manxonia (?) - big clothes store opposite where the co-op is now

Chippy on the main street, although we are still lucky enough to have a great chippy now (one of the few things left)

The other 'Town Hall' (now luxury apartments - of course) used to practice in the basement with Rushen Silver Band - not sure if it was a Town Hall or what it was to be honest but it was great and another sad loss to the community

Campamarina - Down at the old (now empty and rotting) train station, used to be a 'summer club' for kids from the UK to come and do canoeing and stuff, used to be a disco in one of the now disused buildings

Gas Tanks - Used to have Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck painted on them, used to be a treat to go and look at them - kids have it easy nowadays - a real treat was a trip to the airport to watch the plane take off and put 10p in the ace TV machines - I'd kill for one of those now, would look ace in our living room ! (the TV not a plane)

Four Roads Sweet Shop - with an arcade in the basement

Blacksmiths at the Four Roads - used to go and watch him making horseshoes on the way to school - only 35 years ago

"when I was a lad" :P there was the Electricity board showroom to the right, and a greengrocer across the junction the other side (and Joughin's had a grocery shop up around the corner past the lighthouse buildings and chemist)

And I'm just old enough to remember the wonder of wonder that was Smokey Joes, I'd be well happy if anybody has a photo of that place, few others I remember ...

do you remember this thread ?

has photo of bikes outside Smokey Joe's

there was also a mention here (googled)

do you remember Tom Kelly's grocery shop (daughter Melody Kelly was a singer), bottom of Victoria Road (?) and the St. Mary's church hall at the top of the hill behind, and there was one of the boarding houses on the prom had a bike shop in the basement, I think I got my first bike from there. Miss Newton had a shoe shop opposite the Police station.

Smokey Joes brings back memories!

There was also Cannels Cafe

Keigs grocery store (now homemaker0

Boyd's shoe shop

Skelly's grocers

Wattersons & also Faraghers Bakery

Quilliam's chemist

Mary Quirk's Haberdashery

Quilliam's Butchers

Port St Mary has lost a lot over the years!

The Bay View was owned by Mick O' Meara

The Station Hotel was Milton Cubbon

The Albert was owned by Billy Williams

The Perwick by Mona & Mary Quilliam

The Point by Derick McCutcheon

Good times!

What was the name of the shop/cafe (Kellys ?) somewhere opposite Manxonia on the main road that sold the best homemade steak and kidney pies on the island.

I used to go there about noon to get one piping hot from the oven, forty odd years ago. Oh happy days.

The shop/cafe opposite Manxonia was Cannells or a name very similar.

The watchmaker was Alan Quilliam who died a few years ago.

There was also Alan Quines the newsagents on the promenade

Geldard's sweet shop on the promenade

There was a fishing tackle shop down the quay

Archived