Shutting Down.

Lonan3

there has been quite a discussion about the Balqueen Hydro on isle of man dot com family history section (found by google)

do you remember these ?

(the silly things you keep !)

My mother was a housekeeper at the Balqueen Hydro in the late 60s and I remember it was a dry hotel with no license to sell alcohol, maybe that was the reason it went into decline.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was a fishing tackle shop down the quay

The fishing tackle shop was run by Vernon Gill. Before that the fishing tackle shop was across the lane from the Bay View.

The Isle of Man Bank was just down the road on the corner (building still there of course). Didn't a bloke break into it when he was skint, even though the bank had been shut 10 years?

The fishing was excellent in Port St Mary in the 1970s. Mackeral and mullet (depending on the tide) plentiful. You could barely walk down the harvour for all teh barrels of herring and the barrels were stored on the golf course.

The best bonfire was at Perwick, and it was good fun going down the sloping cliffs rolled up in a fishing barrel :o

Wilf's cafe that became the barn. Youth Club in Mount Tabor run by Will Costain (the school teacher) and later the Youth Club in St Mary's Hall (above the old band room) run by Crabby.

Port St Mary Regatta with a Bay Swim from Chapel Beach to the inner harbour...

pat omeara was before jeff in the bay.

I think that you will find that it was Mick O'Meara.

Pat, Mick's son now has the main beneficiary The Albert!

indeed mick yes .. it was pat i played darts with at the abbey..

There was a fishing tackle shop down the quay

The fishing tackle shop was run by Vernon Gill. Before that the fishing tackle shop was across the lane from the Bay View.

The Isle of Man Bank was just down the road on the corner (building still there of course). Didn't a bloke break into it when he was skint, even though the bank had been shut 10 years?

The fishing was excellent in Port St Mary in the 1970s. Mackeral and mullet (depending on the tide) plentiful. You could barely walk down the harvour for all teh barrels of herring and the barrels were stored on the golf course.

The best bonfire was at Perwick, and it was good fun going down the sloping cliffs rolled up in a fishing barrel :o

Wilf's cafe that became the barn. Youth Club in Mount Tabor run by Will Costain (the school teacher) and later the Youth Club in St Mary's Hall (above the old band room) run by Crabby.

Port St Mary Regatta with a Bay Swim from Chapel Beach to the inner harbour...

he was known as eric the loon .. worked the door on the falcon disco .. the port i think it was ..

Aye that was him. Eric the loon (Faragher). Building site labourer, for Fuschia Homes around this time. Also worked on the door at the Bier Keller in the Peveril Hotel, Douglas.

Last heard of driving Taxis in Blackpool.

"Alright Baa"

Anyone remember the famous Sausage and Onion sandwiches that everyone flocked to Smoky Joes for ? ......eeeee! when I were a lad ;) ..

And yep known Eric Faragher for many a year...he played golf with a bunch of us..unfortunately haven't see Eric for years..even tried to get hold of him after Dave Smith passed away...great guitar player was Dave..

I still have a couple of those beer mats!

Perwick Bay Hotel taken from the swimming pool in 1975

I can remember swimming in the Perwick pool in about 1977, I can also remember going regularly to the hotel in the late 60s when they used to have a popular folk night with Alan Jackson.

Happy days :D

I used to spend a lot of time swimming in the Perwick Pool from the 1960's. I actually have a couple of the records that Alan Jackson recorded about the Isle of Man and Port St Mary, happy days!!

Anyone remember the famous Sausage and Onion sandwiches that everyone flocked to Smoky Joes for ? ......eeeee! when I were a lad ;) ..

And yep known Eric Faragher for many a year...he played golf with a bunch of us..unfortunately haven't see Eric for years..even tried to get hold of him after Dave Smith passed away...great guitar player was Dave..

Indeed he was, and a great bloke to boot, played in bands with my ol man for years

R. Kelly used to call Eric 'the Frenchman' (Eric De Loon) Eric used to be on the door at PE Regatta dances at The Bradda Glen he used to wear one black leather glove on his right hand

Archived