Broon Demolished

Stu Peters

But it was government inaction, not government intervention, that was the problem.

You just don't know the meaning of everyday words.

Gah, don't you read? I even made that point myself that action through inaction failed to keep the problems caused by cheap credit in check, but what I was talking about was the cause, not the inaction that followed. Jebus.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Had you learned Latin at school, you would know that the word "intervention" comes from two Latin words meaning to come between.

With a sentence like that you are basically saying that you are better than Slim because you went, in your opinion, to a better school. So you are being clumsily elitist. Which someone with the confidence of a good education which fitted them would never need to do.

You may read into my statement whatever you wish, Pongo.

It is good to see somebody sticking up for the underdog.

S

But it was government inaction, not government intervention, that was the problem.

You just don't know the meaning of everyday words.

Gah, don't you read? I even made that point myself that action through inaction failed to keep the problems caused by cheap credit in check, but what I was talking about was the cause, not the inaction that followed. Jebus.

Intervention is not inaction.

Buy that dictionary.

S

Had you learned Latin at school, you would know that the word "intervention" comes from two Latin words meaning to come between.

With a sentence like that you are basically saying that you are better than Slim because you went, in your opinion, to a better school. So you are being clumsily elitist. Which someone with the confidence of a good education which fitted them would never need to do.

You may read into my statement whatever you wish, Pongo.

It is good to see somebody sticking up for the underdog.

S

Hehehe. You weirdly remind me of a friend of mine who was embarrassed to admit to his associates that he had been at King Bill's. They had all been at posh schools. So he used to over affect it. Which was, more or less, a bit embarrassing.

I know that you know that nobody ever plays the my - education - was - better - than - yours card without seeming like an oik. So you must be joking.

I'm a total oik and utterly provincial although I learned Latin from age 8 :)

I'm confused Slim told us that "the root of the problem was government intervention, not a lack of it." When pressed he tells us that he is talking about "action through inaction". (is he talking about two different points in time?) So is the solution in Slim's mind "a lack of inaction" or "a non-intervention through action"?

I'm confused Slim told us that "the root of the problem was government intervention, not a lack of it." When pressed he tells us that he is talking about "action through inaction". (is he talking about two different points in time?) So is the solution in Slim's mind "a lack of inaction" or "a non-intervention through action"?

If you can fathom what is in Slim's mind, you are a better man than I am. And, God knows, I have been trying. Slim might say, very trying!

S

Why don't you ask me?

I've talked about two things yes, intervention causing the problem then in-action when the consequence of those interventions got out of hand. I'm not strong on the in-action part though, I think it can be demonstrated that the governments continued to fuck up in an effort to keep the economy growing, for example the change to inflation measures and the changes in risk based reporting and regulation.

Why don't you ask me?

I've talked about two things yes, intervention causing the problem then in-action when the consequence of those interventions got out of hand. I'm not strong on the in-action part though, I think it can be demonstrated that the governments continued to fuck up in an effort to keep the economy growing, for example the change to inflation measures and the changes in risk based reporting and regulation.

When in a hole, stop digging.

S

Archived