Aldrige Audio

Slim

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, blame it on Tesco's again, yet we all know Aldrige's to be on par with Colbourne's for having a mark up above and beyond the call of commerce. I was doing some cabling in my last job and ran out of connectors and had to buy some from there and they were charging 75pence per connector, normal online retail being less than ten-pence. Greed served them well for long enough, and all the talk of shop local, why when most local shops are in the fleecing game. Make Tesco's bigger and make my shopping needs cheaper and screw the money-hungry shop-keeps that think it's their right to not have competition and charge daft prices.

Yup, blame it on Tesco's again, yet we all know Aldrige's to be on par with Colbourne's for having a mark up above and beyond the call of commerce. I was doing some cabling in my last job and ran out of connectors and had to buy some from there and they were charging 75pence per connector, normal online retail being less than ten-pence. Greed served them well for long enough, and all the talk of shop local, why when most local shops are in the fleecing game. Make Tesco's bigger and make my shopping needs cheaper and screw the money-hungry shop-keeps that think it's their right to not have competition and charge daft prices.

Bambster does have a point. I am all for "shop local", but when you are getting totally ripped off , why would you pay 40% more when you can buy online (and get free delivery from various sites as well)

Right, yes. His business was SO profitable he has decided to close it down rather than sell it on for a substantial amount for someone else to make lots of money on...

Presumably in your line of work you charge barely enough to get by, so as to ensure your clients get maximum value for money?

I was in Aldriges a couple of weeks ago, and had to wait while the lady serving was showing a young couple some electric kettles. After getting three or four different ones in and out of the boxes, they thanked her and said "we only wanted to check them out before we buy them online."

How she refrained from grabbing the nearest iron and smacking them around the head, I don't know.

It's somewhat ironic that the retail outlet that was once the cutting edge for computing technology is closing partly due to computer technology - (i.e. the Internet) making retail outlets obsolete.

From the look of things, PC Solutions is taking over the old music shop next door and carrying on as a separate shop.

I am sure Paul has made plenty of money out of the shop. Did you read the bit in the paper which said: "As early as 2003 Aldridge Audio turned over £1 Million a year"

I'm not surprised its closed. Many a time I've gone upstairs to look at computer equipment and buggered off totally bored before anyone could be arsed coming from the back of the shop to see if I actually wanted to buy anything. Last time I was looking at a laptop at around £450 but got fed up of wondering when a sales person might arrive so I could ask some questions about the spec.

And how many of those conectors do they sell a month compared to your online retailer? They stocked nearly every connector and smal electrical iten you could ever need, you could walk in, ask someone advice, spend 75p and walk out with what you needed. Where's the profit for them in that after staff, rates, alectric, insurance etc.

No one likes to pay more than they have to for something butif everyone continues to expect the help and advice locally, but then buy on line no one will benefit in the long run. You resent paying the extra for your urgently needed bits, fair enough. Where wil you get what you need quickly next time?

Archived