Aldrige Audio

Slim

All of this has a great deal to do with the low overheads and huge buying power of internet businesses, and very little to do with the alleged deficiencies of Manx shop-keepers. Almost all small retailers are having it tough at the moment, and will continue to do so until they either go out of business or find a business model that works in the internet age.

For what it's worth, my experience of Manx shop-keepers over the past thirty five years is that they are rather more willing to go out of their way for you than many of their counterparts across. I just cannot understand the constant "Let's knock anything Manx" attitude which prevails on this forum. Perhaps it comes from not having much experience of the wider world.

S

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For what it's worth, my experience of Manx shop-keepers over the past thirty five years is that they are rather more willing to go out of their way for you than many of their counterparts across. I just cannot understand the constant "Let's knock anything Manx" attitude which prevails on this forum. Perhaps it comes from not having much experience of the wider world.

S

Well your opinion is worth about as much as my opinion - not much. I have lived all over the UK - London, Leeds, Leicester, Wiltshire, Devon, South Wales, Cambridge, Peterborough and was an Expat in the Middle East for 6 years before settling here (is that enough experience of the wider world, or do you want a list of travel destinations too?). Yes in certain instances you get good personal service from shop keepers here and I'd be happy to name a few, but I have also found that the IOM has some of the worst customer service I have ever seen. From just grunting at you, to leaving you unattended or giving you the usual - "well there is no where else to get them on the IOM so what are you gonna do?".

There are a few retailers who have had it very good over the last 10-20 years here, but a few have taken their eye off the ball. (That's not a dig at Aldridge's by the way - the small independant PC and Electronics retail sector has been a nightmare not just here but all over the UK from cheap internet competition.)

I have friends who run a very successful online retail company over here - so it is possible to keep up and provide excellent service.

S

Well your opinion is worth about as much as my opinion - not much. I have lived all over the UK - London, Leeds, Leicester, Wiltshire, Devon, South Wales, Cambridge, Peterborough and was an Expat in the Middle East for 6 years before settling here (is that enough experience of the wider world, or do you want a list of travel destinations too?).

My remarks were not aimed at you, Slinky.

S

Archived