Surprise Surprise

oldmanxfella

I'd be all for putting a (removable) speed bump on each entrance to the roundabout to get people down to a sensible speed.

I read that and thought "what a bloody stupid id... ...hmm, that would work"

A speed bump on the entrance to every roundabout on The Island. QB would work if it wasn't for the idiots who take it at forty all the way through. I saw a bump there a few weeks back. Woman coming from Peel direction turned towards Castletown without indicating right, bloke in a Lexus flying through from Douglas without any intention of giving way, even if she had indicated. A speed bump to slow him down would have avoided a collision even though she was not driving very well. Gets my (rather surprised) vote!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With these miniature roundabouts - is it okay to go all the way round and back the way you came ? Someone seemed to get cross with me for doing that on one a few months ago. Appeared to be mouthing rude words and was making a shaky hand gesture.

I had indicated.

if you look at a proper roundabout sign that shows the exits on a little plan and where they go, the actual roundabout is not drawn as a full circle, it is drawn in a clockwise manner from the entrance you are on to the last exit. you are not expected to go 360 degrees and exit the same road you came in on. roundabouts are not there for those who forgot to turn off earlier, left the fryer on, forgot something, etc. i do it myself though along with many others who exit walpole avenue and want to leave douglas via lord st. so spin round the little roundabout at the sea terminal. the big roundabout at the sea terminal suffers the same use/abuse in conjunction with the rendevous outside the sefton by those who keep driving up and down whilst playing musical parking places on the prom. welcome to the WANKER club. :D

i see today they are putting 'shellgrip' down on the approach from peel to douglas at said roundabout. perhaps it will help people stop better??

Am I missing something here? Roundabout (UK) - give way to traffic coming from the right. Anyone coming down Vicarage road is bound to give way to traffic coming fom the right (Douglas) irrespective of whether that car is or isn't over the 'white line' or its speed. Survival depends on the ability to judge relative speeds and situational awareness (which is often sadly lacking). The way people 'drive' their trolleys at supermarkets is pretty symptomatic of the poor driving standards seen here.

all i'm saying is that i was taught that you give way to vehicles that are already on the roundabout but not to vehicles on the approach , now if there is a vehicle at every entrance and everyone is stopped then its a lottery to who goes first :o

normally me ;)

With these miniature roundabouts - is it okay to go all the way round and back the way you came ? Someone seemed to get cross with me for doing that on one a few months ago. Appeared to be mouthing rude words and was making a shaky hand gesture.

I had indicated.

They do it all the time at the tescos roundabout thats quite narrow!

I had indicated.

Good point. I can only assume that people are supposed to do that there. Since there isn't any other way for people get back in to Douglas from the top end of the harbour - apart from going the long way round. Well apart from doing a 3 point turn - and I'm assuming that the traffic system has not been designed around people doing 3 point turns.

It's really weird that that they took away the junction by the railway station so that people can no longer turn right back into Douglas. And weird that the traffic is only allowed down the hill too. It seems utterly bonkers but I suppose there is some reason.

I had indicated.

Good point. I can only assume that people are supposed to do that there. Since there isn't any other way for people get back in to Douglas from the top end of the harbour - apart from going the long way round. Well apart from doing a 3 point turn - and I'm assuming that the traffic system has not been designed around people doing 3 point turns.

It's really weird that that they took away the junction by the railway station so that people can no longer turn right back into Douglas. And weird that the traffic is only allowed down the hill too. It seems utterly bonkers but I suppose there is some reason.

the reason the hill was changed was probably because it was difficult to hill start from and many vehicles stalled and got clobbered

the reason the hill was changed was probably because it was difficult to hill start from and many vehicles stalled and got clobbered

Thought that myself, that side makes sense, but a turning by The Railway to turn right would make sense.

Thought that myself, that side makes sense, but a turning by The Railway to turn right would make sense.

thats how it used to be, but they want traffic to go over the swing bridge and leave the quay alone except for access. but people just go and spin round the mini roundabout infront of the bus depot to avoid the swing bridge ( which can be up!! ) and the gridlock that is the roundabout outside the police station. that place is a real goat fuck in rush hour. there was talk a few months back of stopping it, but not sure how?? they could build a bridge over the river the other end of tesco's carpark and make the whole road one way except for traffic coming out the train station carpark or bus station, that way if you go in past the railway pub you have to exit the far end of leigh terrace by the nunnery, and still have to enter douglas via the swing bridge. it would also help the congestion on railway hill waiting for the flow of folks spinning round the roundabout and genuine tesco shoppers. the only thing that would have to be given way to would be buses and people with a permit to park in the train station parking area. if you have business on the quay you would have to enter via railway hill. PIA though if you came in via leigh terrace!!.

I had indicated.

Just to chip in. 1) DoT did not build that roundabout, Tesco did, and as it is classed as a mini roundabout it's size is fine it's the dickheads who go all the way round that are wrong. 2) Stop moaning it's being removed anyway.

Just to chip in. 1) DoT did not build that roundabout, Tesco did, and as it is classed as a mini roundabout it's size is fine it's the dickheads who go all the way round that are wrong. 2) Stop moaning it's being removed anyway.

It is inevitable that people will use the roundabout to get from the top of the harbour and out onto the Peel Rd. The mistake was to stop people turning right from the top end of the harbour and to counter intuitively try to force everyone to exit all the way back down at the bridge end.

If the roundabout gets removed before there is an alternative way to get out onto the Peel Rd (without going all the way back down to the bridge) then motorists will start doing 3 point turns in the Tesco Rd.

The roundabout and the people using it are not the problem.

Am I missing something here? Roundabout (UK) - give way to traffic coming from the right. Anyone coming down Vicarage road is bound to give way to traffic coming fom the right (Douglas) irrespective of whether that car is or isn't over the 'white line' or its speed. Survival depends on the ability to judge relative speeds and situational awareness (which is often sadly lacking). The way people 'drive' their trolleys at supermarkets is pretty symptomatic of the poor driving standards seen here.

all i'm saying is that i was taught that you give way to vehicles that are already on the roundabout but not to vehicles on the approach , now if there is a vehicle at every entrance and everyone is stopped then its a lottery to who goes first :o

normally me ;)

Quite correct. Giving way to traffic approaching from the right means traffic already using the roundabout. The only way you have right of way on a roundabout is if you're driving around it. Those who think that traffic emerging from the next entrance around has to stop for them when they're say 5 metres away from the actual junction and ploughs on regardless without slowing down and using their brain is driving without due care or consideration and deserves the points for it.

Oh, and it's perfectly legal to do a U-turn at any kind of roundabout, regardless of the size of it.

Archived