Surprise Surprise

oldmanxfella

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I missing something here? Roundabout (UK) - give way to traffic coming from the right. Anyone coming down Vicarage road is bound to give way to traffic coming fom the right (Douglas) irrespective of whether that car is or isn't over the 'white line' or its speed. Survival depends on the ability to judge relative speeds and situational awareness (which is often sadly lacking). The way people 'drive' their trolleys at supermarkets is pretty symptomatic of the poor driving standards seen here.

all i'm saying is that i was taught that you give way to vehicles that are already on the roundabout but not to vehicles on the approach , now if there is a vehicle at every entrance and everyone is stopped then its a lottery to who goes first :o

normally me ;)

Quite correct. Giving way to traffic approaching from the right means traffic already using the roundabout. The only way you have right of way on a roundabout is if you're driving around it. Those who think that traffic emerging from the next entrance around has to stop for them when they're say 5 metres away from the actual junction and ploughs on regardless without slowing down and using their brain is driving without due care or consideration and deserves the points for it.

Oh, and it's perfectly legal to do a U-turn at any kind of roundabout, regardless of the size of it.

Exactly, the post by Utah 01 ust verifies the way many people over here think a roundabout works. It shows a total lack of knowledge of how a roundabout should actually work, and comments like "Survival depends on the ability to judge relative speeds and situational awareness (which is often sadly lacking)" shows why people who do understand are often not brave enough to try and use them properly, and is actualy a bit frightning that people are on the road with that attitude.

This is exactly why the traffic from Peel backs up every morning. I'll often sit there and let several cars coming from the South go in front of me when I actualy have right of way, just because I know they will just T-Bone me if I pull out.

I don't understand why the government don't spend a bit on driver education instead of new traffic schemes. Most of the junctions are OK and for the cost of a pull out in the Courier a few people might realise their "give way to the right" attitude is only half of how it should work, and most of the reason the junctions don't work properly.

I don't understand why the government don't spend a bit on driver education instead of new traffic schemes.

You can lead a horse to water etc

Most don't want to learn but instead believe they are the best dirvers on the road and everyone else should comply with them.

Archived