[BBC News] Event to tackle teenage drinking

Newsbot

Is it bring a bottle?

PS listened to MR today and my thoughts were confirmed that the survey was flawed. I don't see gangs of schoolies binge drinking and truly believe the results of this survey are wrong. I have a 16 year old daughter and have never seen her drunk (nor has she tried to hide it from me as I always have a chat with her when she gets in), but I do buy her and her friends the odd bottle of WKD (between 6 of them!) if asked. I would much rather do that then leave open the possibility of her somehow getting her hands on it another way.

Not double standards at all; I want to educate her to alcohol and not to leave it to someone else to do that for me/her. That said, she is not a great one for alcohol - at her age I was a seasoned visitor to the local hostelries. Responsible parental involvement in all of this is something that should be encouraged; ignoring it or merely forbidding it, isn't going to stop teenagers trying to get, and suceed in getting, a drink. I would far rather she asked me to get her a bottle of WKD every now and again, then looked to someone else.

My role as a parent is, I believe, to help form the adult, not to keep my children's emotional and psychological development stunted at pre-pubescent.

As far as toy boys, it is a bit tricky to find a legal toy boy for a 16 year old girl!

The Government must have sales figures for the amount of alcohol consumed on this Island, for the duty figures.

There will be a figure for the amount of say, bottles of WKD we import and sell per week. I wonder what it is?

If anyone went down to the HE Richards auction they will surely have been amazed at the amount of drink just one of our wholesalers keeps in stock. Apparently there was far more (stacked to the ceiling) sold off before the auction.

I remember Two Dogs coming out, and soon after Hooper's Hooch - the mummy and daddy of all alcopops. It all went rapidly down hill after that. Before then alcohol was generally an acquired taste and this usually meant that the introduction to alcohol was more gradual.

These days, real ales are starting to go poppy too. There was one called Ginger Explosion on sale down at The Rovers a couple of weeks ago. I must say it was rather nice too.

the alcopop of the 70's - lager & lime!.

In the mid 80s it was Pernod and black. IE pastis (it emulsifies in water) mixed with undiluted back current cordial. It was a particularly pewky mixture.

All sorts of other nasty cheapish sugary spirit based brands became popular back then too. Eg Baileys.

the alcopop of the 70's - lager & lime!.

In the mid 80s it was Pernod and black. IE pastis (it emulsifies in water) mixed with undiluted back current cordial. It was a particularly pewky mixture.

All sorts of other nasty cheapish sugary spirit based brands became popular back then too. Eg Baileys.

And in the 60s it was Rum and Black. You can't wean kids off Ribena that easily.

S

Barley wine.

How many trips down slippery slopes has that shite launched?

OOI Is the crap still made?

Its not so much the WKD they are drinking, its the vodka that they put in the still water bottles at £7-99 a bottle its cheaper and they can take it to school :o

its the vodka that they put in the still water bottles at £7-99 a bottle its cheaper and they can take it to school ohmy.gif

Double maths always was traumatic.

I think it's still a crime to buy alcohol for minors, what lesson does that teach them I wonder?

I think if you are buying alcohol on behalf of a minor, but you can get around all that by the folowing rules.

"It is only illegal for those aged 5-17 to drink alcohol on licensed premises (e.g. a pub or restaurant); they may legally drink alcohol in private above the age of 5"

"The legal age to purchase alcohol is 18. People aged 16 and 17 may consume wine, beer or cider with a table meal, provided they are with an adult and an adult orders it. (England & Wales only, Scotland no adult required to be present)"

Archived