Island Nears Energy Independence

Dhoon Boy

Yes I thought that might be it.

Still don't think it warrants its own thread in Local News though. Why not add it in to one of the several thousand Renewable Energy Source / MEA / Environmental related threads that I'm sure are still floating around somewhere?

/thread police ;)

I think it's refering to the fact that this strategy could be adapted or adopted by other small islands!

Definitely, although it looks a bit pie in the sky at the moment, one mans vision rather than a successful achievement. We don't use Block Eire reservoir either as I recall, and wasn't there a pumping facility between Baldwin and Sulby installed recently? Perfect for energy storage in this fashion. Shame our energy policy is set for the foreseeable future because of our MEA overspend.

I think it's refering to the fact that this strategy could be adapted or adopted by other small islands!

The problem is that, the island in question has "the biggest and the most productive solar garden in the world, generating energy for up to 5000 families. "

The fact that the island is off the coast of Spain makes this viable. It wouldn't work here - the sun isn't dependable enough in summer and the winter hours of sunlight makes it even worse.

Definitely, although it looks a bit pie in the sky at the moment, one mans vision rather than a successful achievement. We don't use Block Eire reservoir either as I recall, and wasn't there a pumping facility between Baldwin and Sulby installed recently? Perfect for energy storage in this fashion. Shame our energy policy is set for the foreseeable future because of our MEA overspend.

Hmmm. Two points strike me.

First, much of El Hierro's energy will come from the sun (not much of an option in the IOM), and second, they plan to use hydrogen-powered cars (not much of an option anywhere at the moment). So I don't think we are going to learn anything useful from them.

The IOM's problem is energy storage. No "free" energy is available round the clock. As I have said previously, the IOM could massively increase the storage capacity of the Sulby reservoir, and install big generators. Water could be pumped up by wind and wave power, and be used when the winds and waves were not producing.

However, this will require massive investment at a time when the IOM is strapped for cash.

I suspect we will be using gas or oil for many years yet.

S

much of El Hierro's energy will come from the sun (not much of an option in the IOM)

What I keep hearing is that the same kind of rapid evolution which caused digital camera sensor technology to rapidly improve (and to drastically reduce in price) over the past decade is now on the verge of happening with solar panels. I do not know if this is true - but it does seem feasible.

Solar panels already more or less need light rather than huge amounts of actual sun. It's question of their cost and efficiency.

The problem is that, the island in question has "the biggest and the most productive solar garden in the world, generating energy for up to 5000 families. "

The fact that the island is off the coast of Spain makes this viable. It wouldn't work here - the sun isn't dependable enough in summer and the winter hours of sunlight makes it even worse.

Aye, but they're only planning on five wind turbines. You've just got to adjust the ratio of wind/hydro/solar to match what you have. We've certainly got wind.

What I keep hearing is that the same kind of rapid evolution which caused digital camera sensor technology to rapidly improve (and to drastically reduce in price) over the past decade is now on the verge of happening with solar panels. I do not know if this is true - but it does seem feasible.

Solar panels already more or less need light rather than huge amounts of actual sun. It's question of their cost and efficiency.

There'd be a couple of Nobel prizes this year if they were, most household ones are around 20 - 30% efficient, even Nasa and the military etc. (very expensive) are only around 40%.

The physics is the problem, it's not just a problem you can throw money at and expect quick results.

Either, either, or - at their current efficiency, it's all about how much room you've got to put them that matters at the moment.

There'd be a couple of Nobel prizes this year if they were, most household ones are around 20 - 30% efficient, even Nasa and the military etc. (very expensive) are only around 40%.

The physics is the problem, it's not just a problem you can throw money at and expect quick results.

Either, either, or - at their current efficiency, it's all about how much room you've got to put them that matters at the moment.

The big gains currently seem to be in reasonable efficiency out of the cheaper panels. They might only be hitting 18-20%, but it's getting lots cheaper.

The big gains currently seem to be in reasonable efficiency out of the cheaper panels. They might only be hitting 18-20%, but it's getting lots cheaper.

I think that's also about scale of economy - many more are being sold.

blah blah blah from me

There'd be a couple of Nobel prizes this year if they were etc

I see what you are saying ... except that -> isn't this more about cheaper and more effective manufacturing ... but basically about improving on existing methods, technologies etc. As opposed to the sort of direction changing discoveries which Nobel prizes are typically about.

I'm optimistic because I think that the conditions exist economically to make this stuff cheaper. Also - getting the alt power industries up and running is exactly the sort of economic stimulus which the world needs. There is money and work in it.

blah blah blah from me

There'd be a couple of Nobel prizes this year if they were etc

I see what you are saying ... except that -> isn't this more about cheaper and more effective manufacturing ... but basically about improving on existing methods, technologies etc. As opposed to the sort of direction changing discoveries which Nobel prizes are typically about.

I'm optimistic because I think that the conditions exist economically to make this stuff cheaper. Also - getting the alt power industries up and running is exactly the sort of economic stimulus which the world needs. There is money and work in it.

However cheap and efficient they get, the simple fact is that the IOM only receives a small fraction of the solar energy that falls on Spain. While I can see countries near the tropics being able to rely on solar for a significant proportion of their power requirements, I just don't see it happening here. There just isn't enough sunlight even if the panels were 100% efficient.

S

Archived