Tt Entertainment

Deejay Denzel

U2 UK

VILLA GARDENS, 5th JUNE

TICKETS ON GENERAL SALE DATE WEDNESDAY 8TH APRIL 2009

The TT festival at the Gardens will kick off on Friday 5th June with a performance by U2 UK, Europe's premier tribute show to the Irish rock legends U2. It takes in the early years of U2 and will run right up to the last ‘Vertigo’ tour.

Will the lead singer urge us all to campaign for third-world debt relief and all the other noble causes the real Saint Bono espouses?

...........and move all our business interests to Holland to make use of the generous corporate tax laws there!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am with one of the earlier posters who said that maybe they could have booked at least one of the smaller Indie bands. Plus maybe some of the lesser known rock bands. A night of two or three good original relatively unknown rock bands is much better value than a tribute band. Ok so the PBF was way to expensive and over ambitious but there must be a half way house between that and this.

This line us is lazy, cheap, and totally lacking in imagination.

Like who specifically? Who do you think they could have booked that's a realistic proposition financially that would satisfy the bleaters?

I am with one of the earlier posters who said that maybe they could have booked at least one of the smaller Indie bands. Plus maybe some of the lesser known rock bands. A night of two or three good original relatively unknown rock bands is much better value than a tribute band. Ok so the PBF was way to expensive and over ambitious but there must be a half way house between that and this.

This line us is lazy, cheap, and totally lacking in imagination.

Like who specifically? Who do you think they could have booked that's a realistic proposition financially that would satisfy the bleaters?

Five Star?

I'm getting cheesed off with these moaning ingrates who seem to think that unless their particular fave band is booked to come over then the rest is a waste of time. You can't please everyone all the time (not unless you put on a multi-multi-multi stage event and dig-up everyone from Jimi Hendrix through Half Man Half Biscuit et al right up to the likes of Kylie andd bloody Jason (or whoever is flavour of the minute at the moment).

As for the "tribute bands aren't as good as the real thing" Brigade - i'll agree with you there, sometimes they're better, and i've seen a few that are. Just remember that the likes of the London Symphony Orchestra or the Liverpool Philharmonic don't tend to write too much of their own stuff (a lot of it's a couple of hundred years old ffs)

That said, i'm proper vexed that the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah band have yet again been overlooked for TT. Not even a lousy tribute act. Sniff!

How about no-one....is it really necessary to have the Bands at all?

I think you're right there, I reckon stuff like the beach racing and pub/beer tent style stuff goes down better in the evenings than concerts. If you're visiting a place like this for a weekend, you don't want to sit in one venue all night, you want to be moving around.

How about no-one....is it really necessary to have the Bands at all?

I think you're right there, I reckon stuff like the beach racing and pub/beer tent style stuff goes down better in the evenings than concerts. If you're visiting a place like this for a weekend, you don't want to sit in one venue all night, you want to be moving around.

Totally agree. Get some of the stalls from the back of the Grandstand down along the prom. A few stands for local/amateur bands along there too.

Some big screens showing the days racing or archive stuff....

Some more outlets selling food/beer

And away you go.....

Blowing the budget on crap bands and Russ Swift or that rocketbike moron doesnt seem worth it....its supposed to be a biking festival after all.

There a literally hundreds of new and upcoming bands out there, plus there are even more that have been around for years doing the club circuits and putting on excellent gigs. No I'm not going to list hundreds of them for you. Try getting out and about and listening to them when on the rare occasions they do crop up over here. A mix of these in one gig is both cheap to book and a bargain to watch. Yes sure also book a couple of cover bands for those easily pleased, but lets mix it up a bit.

As for having no bands well thats a different discussion entirely. There is no definitive or essential link between the TT and music. The sad fact is though that live music (bar tiny gigs for local bands) on the island is very limited. Even more so with pubs shutting and places like the Venue gone. The TT is used by the powers that be to one of the very few prompts to get anything at all off the ground. Trust me I would much rather these things be organised more often during the year, but thats what we are stuck with, bar a few vastly over subscribed gigs at the Villa with its stupidly tiny capacity.

Trust me I would much rather these things be organised more often during the year, but thats what we are stuck with, bar a few vastly over subscribed gigs at the Villa with its stupidly tiny capacity.

There has been a run of decent shows over here Ozzie Pink Floyd, Snow Patrol, Charlatans to name but a few.....and then it comes to TT week....hmmmmm

To my mind, a less formalised offer of music would work better for the visiting biking fratrernity and locals who get out and about during race week.

:angry: Again another pile of shite line up for TT week , If you like whitesnake you will be happy , but why do they keep getting acts that are past it , time to get some fresh up and coming groups ,

Lets hope the peel bay festival 2009 gets the go ahead and we see some good acts

Archived