Door To Door Collection

manxman8180

I live in Onchan and this coloured chap called this evening collecting for a charity, he was hard to understand and I thought he wanted money for his fare back home, but no it is a geniune charity because I inspected all his paper work, the charity is called ADRA

and is based in Watford,it seems they give money to disasters that occur anywhere in the world,they have a website which is www.adra.org.uk.Hope this helps all you charity minded folks

I almost want to laugh. You are joking right?

whether any of the monies are used locally.

Some people would argue that in a rich finance sector such as this there should be no need for charity money to be used locally; that if there is a need for charity money on the IOM then taxation should be increased to properly fund welfare; and that any need for charity money to be spent locally would be a national failure.

I am one of those people especially when 'friends of the hospital' fund raise for equipment that should be provided by DHSS etc

I live in Onchan and this coloured chap called this evening collecting for a charity, he was hard to understand and I thought he wanted money for his fare back home, but no it is a geniune charity because I inspected all his paper work, the charity is called ADRA

and is based in Watford,it seems they give money to disasters that occur anywhere in the world,they have a website which is www.adra.org.uk.Hope this helps all you charity minded folks

Thanks, this was what I was after.

Cheers

Does it really matter whether or not the charity is local or deemed to be local? Some charities are non geographical for example the RNLI. A service ran entirely on charitable donations that saves lives and who's voluntary crews are on stand by 24 hours a day 365 days a year. Would those who only choose local charities not give to this worthy cause?...If you can afford to give, give something to a cause that you think is worthy then give regardless if it is local or not.

Does it really matter whether or not the charity is local or deemed to be local? Some charities are non geographical for example the RNLI. A service ran entirely on charitable donations that saves lives and who's voluntary crews are on stand by 24 hours a day 365 days a year. Would those who only choose local charities not give to this worthy cause?...If you can afford to give, give something to a cause that you think is worthy then give regardless if it is local or not.

Be careful, as much as your post is good sense it was even more prescriptive than my previous posts.

I regard the RNLI as an exception due to the work they do same as mountain rescue etc. On another point if you look into Manx history you will note that in fact the RNLI has in fact its roots on the island, go look at the monument on the prom near the cafe or observe Connister Rock/St Mary's Isle/Tower of Refuge whatever you wish to call it or even go up to Fort Anne and look at the history of previous occupants their.

Oh we don't want to be donating anything to coloured chaps what we can't understand and that. No, let's stick to our local charities. Even if their salaried staff are too lazy to accept valuable contributions on account of them being too much like hard work to load into the van.

I regard the RNLI as an exception due to the work they do same as mountain rescue etc. On another point if you look into Manx history you will note that in fact the RNLI has in fact its roots on the island, go look at the monument on the prom near the cafe or observe Connister Rock/St Mary's Isle/Tower of Refuge whatever you wish to call it or even go up to Fort Anne and look at the history of previous occupants their.

Is the history or origins of the charity important? I could at least your concerns in a previous thread about donating to particular foreign charities if you have no evidence of how the money is spent.

Archived