Hsbc Closing Down On Iom?

GD4ELI

Not good - I have a few friends there too. I'm not ringing them on the back of a forum thread though, until I hear something official. Bad news.

Both my parents work in the call centre, but they're looking for new jobs.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cannot see a world wide bank not wanting a branch network here

Beyond dealing with the local business why should they once the tax dodging and money laundering is ended.

And there is no point in denying either, if it were NOT to dodge tax why on earth would anyone want or need to bank on the IOM if they were not residents?

There's a dam cold wind about to blow through the whole Island, in fact it's already started. It's a thing that I take no pleasure in but I am concerned that those in power who can afford to be isolated from what is going to happen will put the kybosh on what will need to be done for the benefit of the many.

One option that would serve the Island well would be to build a nuclear power facility and export electricity to the Mainland. That is the sort of ‘out of the box’ thinking and ‘out of the box’ actions that will be needed similarly a serious re-think about tourism. Will any of it happen?

Like I say, since those in a position of power to cause these things to be done will be isolated from the horrible downturn in the Manx economy it is highly unlikely and once again people will; have to do what I and so many others did in the 60’s – leave in order to have any sort of life at all.

Agree with Albert, just had a friend on a work permit had his renewed quite easily, and I was surprised this is still the case.

Slim, if you've got a permit, it will get renewed. On the basis that people will have established themselves here.

They are concentrating on 'new' arrivals in construction, retail, hospitality and office admin.

Focus might change if numbers continue to grow.

Beyond dealing with the local business why should they once the tax dodging and money laundering is ended.

You are late out of your iron lung today fella.....i guess you must be wringing your hands with glee at the prospect of the Island's slow demise.

Wrong. I am saddened that so many will have to make the hard choice and face the harder consequences of that choice that I and so many others had to in the past.

It's a thing that I take no pleasure in

Pull the other one Rog, you conceited twat.

I can sense the smug grin from here.

No grin, smug or otherwise from me over this matter. It was a thing that had to come to an end, the tragedy is that those in power would seem to have been in denial for far too long.

No grin from me.

One option that would serve the Island well would be to build a nuclear power facility and export electricity to the Mainland. That is the sort of ‘out of the box’ thinking and ‘out of the box’ actions that will be needed

That's more 'out of the mind'.

And there is no point in denying either, if it were NOT to dodge tax why on earth would anyone want or need to bank on the IOM if they were not residents?

This post shows your ignorance. These job losses are fund administration and asset management, not banking.

Albert: big knock on though, innit?

There are some wider ramifiations here for the remaining fund admin firms in the IOM....HSBC's decision, particularly in light of the draconian fund legislation over here, is going to make a few others look at their operational base I am sure.

Yes they've been told but they (FSC/GOVT) won't/can't comprehend it. They're too busy playing politics with the OECD/G20/etc to realise we need to be just behind the curve on legislation not at the forefront. We have no competitive advantage. Fund Managers don't want the hassle that comes with the IOM.

Archived