Hsbc Closing Down On Iom?

GD4ELI

There are some wider ramifiations here for the remaining fund admin firms in the IOM....HSBC's decision, particularly in light of the draconian fund legislation over here, is going to make a few others look at their operational base I am sure.

Yes they've been told but they (FSC/GOVT) won't/can't comprehend it. They're too busy playing politics with the OECD/G20/etc to realise we need to be just behind the curve on legislation not at the forefront. We have no competitive advantage. Fund Managers don't want the hassle that comes with the IOM.

Better to be grey and make things pay, than white and in the shite.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are some wider ramifiations here for the remaining fund admin firms in the IOM....HSBC's decision, particularly in light of the draconian fund legislation over here, is going to make a few others look at their operational base I am sure.

Yes they've been told but they (FSC/GOVT) won't/can't comprehend it. They're too busy playing politics with the OECD/G20/etc to realise we need to be just behind the curve on legislation not at the forefront. We have no competitive advantage. Fund Managers don't want the hassle that comes with the IOM.

Better to be grey and make things pay, than white and in the shite.

Hear Hear Mutley. The a*******s that work in the FSC seem to think all is rosy over here when as you quite rightly say, their incomprehension on how funds should and could work in the IoM merely makes up the minds of big fund managers/administrators to look at more friendly jurisdictions and I don't mean those that are happy to ask no questions!

Look at the fiasco with KSF & the DCS, the words manage, p*** up and brewery spring to mind!

Plus it's too cheap to make people redundant here. Statutory redundancy is only 1 week per year of employment capped at £420. So if you worked for a company for 5 years you'd get £2,100. Some companies have their own policy in place of a month or more per year but a lot don't. This means when Head offices are looking round for a cheap way to reduce staff the IOM is a natural first choice.

From what I've heard, HSBC are to be given some credit here. The packages appear to be very generous.

Plus it's too cheap to make people redundant here. Statutory redundancy is only 1 week per year of employment capped at £420. So if you worked for a company for 5 years you'd get £2,100. Some companies have their own policy in place of a month or more per year but a lot don't. This means when Head offices are looking round for a cheap way to reduce staff the IOM is a natural first choice.

From what I've heard, HSBC are to be given some credit here. The packages appear to be very generous.

Same - very good redundancy packages.

Same - very good redundancy packages.

As good as Sir (for services to banking) Fred got for going?

This post shows your ignorance. These job losses are fund administration and asset management, not banking.

And how long before those jobs go to the Far East?

Not long.

Especially without the prospect of money laundering and tax dodging in the present domains.

I'm not meaning to be nasty but seriously, you guys need to open the paradigm that you consider the future prospects in.

Rog

I'm afraid you're a fucking dickhead. You are, for some reason, desperate for people in the Isle of Man to feel pain. I'm sorry to tell you that, while nobody is escaping from this recession scot free, so far we're doing all right, all things considered. We got on the white list (which must have been like a dagger through your heart), and the private sector at least has a fair idea of what it needs to do to stay in the game (and, for the moment, there is a Treasury Minister who listens).

We're not doing too badly in the round. Go wallow in your own misery - none of us want to share it

You're such a nasty, uninformed, ignorant twat. Specifically what money laundering? It was decisively proven last week that our standards are on par with the UK which means your talking completely through your arsehole.

The UK is hardly a shining example. Plenty of tax avoidance managed from the Island as reported recently in the press.

and he specifically mentions jobs moving to Asia because of the IoM's risk of money laundering without accepting or realising that Hong Kong fails on all counts to come up to minimum OECD standards which means he's taking through his arse.

I agree with you - I do not see any jobs heading east, rather a general downturn in the industry (if you can call it that).

For an unimportant rock the Island's economy is well-diversified and healthy, kudos to Alan Bell and previous finance ministers.

Archived