Hsbc Closing Down On Iom?

GD4ELI

Will we have any banks left to get mortgages from though or should we set up a 'Savings & Loan' like the one in It's a Wonderful Life

I guess the good old Isle of Man Bank will always be around, albeit with maybe a change in ownership from RBS. Maybe we could all have a whip round and buy it up - then it could be that S & L!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
when you say the whole IOM Operation will close in 2 years - do you just mean the operational side of the business or that RBS will remove itself completely from the Island - due to pressure from the UK government majority shareholding ?

I expect that all non high street banking operations will go.

From BBC1 news, a total of 30000 jobs are to go at RBS out of the 30000 job loses more than 15000 are to go in the UK

Hate watching BBC news so didn't see that (was walking dogs) - you sure you got the correct number of zeros - 30,000 jobs to go? If so then it's bye-bye IOM for RBS.

From BBC1 news, a total of 30000 jobs are to go at RBS out of the 30000 job loses more than 15000 are to go in the UK

Hate watching BBC news so didn't see that (was walking dogs) - you sure you got the correct number of zeros - 30,000 jobs to go? If so then it's bye-bye IOM for RBS.

The story said 9000 now with a further 21000 over the next year.

The story said 9000 now with a further 21000 over the next year.

Wow - makes me so glad I'm self-employed. I bet Alan Bell's working on an emergency budget - or at least if not now then sooner or later :(

The late 1970's recession was unpleasant - looks like 2009 / 2010 wll not be very pretty either.

Are you like Homer Simpson - you read stories but make up entirely different stories in your own head?

Where does it actually say that here?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7987659.stm

Page last updated at 15:19 GMT, Tuesday, 7 April 2009

The link you posted is an old one, I was quoting from BBC1 6-00 news

"Lets do think of the falling house prices,been overpriced for way too long."

Maybe, but they'd have to drop a heck of a lot if the only jobs on the IOM were fishing and farming.

They will have a chance of a significant fall and it wouldn't have to go back to finshing and farming to do it. Even if those employed in the bank servicing centres went back to their previous jobs (cleaning, behind the counter at the chippy or Boots) that will represent a huge fall in income to service some sizeable mortgages.

Page last updated at 15:19 GMT, Tuesday, 7 April 2009

The link you posted is an old one, I was quoting from BBC1 6-00 news

BBC news has just said 9,000 with 4,500 in the UK

I can't find any reference to the 21,000 jobs to go next year.

Archived