[BBC News] Island targeting London tourists

Newsbot

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Londoners are the targets of a tourism push by the Manx government.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7985426.stm

Shame London City - IoM return is currently nudging £300 return.

You can stick up all the adverts you want but you could fly to New Zealand for less.

A couple of really nice spar hotels would go down a treat.

Well we've got a couple of quality Spar Shops ... I'm sure the hotels will follow.

You can book LCY / IOM for much cheaper than that.

I booked it today for travel tomorrow for GBP207.00

If you book it well in advance, it's much cheaper again.

Well last week it cost me £270 return so even if its luck of the draw its too damned expensive to encourage tourists.

You can generally get a cheaper ticket if you book 'off peak' so to speak.

A ticket from here to Manchester return costs more in taxes / security charges than a return from Manchester to Copenhagen.

It is the taxes / airport charges that really bump the fare up. I think it's more down to the govt. to reduce fees, than the airline to reduce fares. You can get some seats on Flybe for GBP1.00 for IOM / Manchester. Taxes / fees add an extra GBP40.00 pounds (or there abouts).

Can't really blame the airlines too much.

..and no I don't work for one.

£270 return so even if its luck of the draw its too damned expensive to encourage tourists.

If you were going on a weekend break to completely unwind in an expensive country hotel in the middle of nowhere and eat fantastic food etc - then £270 would be a relatively insignificant part of the cost. And the flight would very likely be much cheaper anyhow.

The IOM stands no chance of competing with cheap places and should not bother to even try IMO. It should avoid Douglas completely and go up market.

The Isle of Keith!!! Jebus - having spent many years working to and fro from the Isle of Man, working with many UK residents - most people in the UK down that way don't even know where the Isle of Man is...the bulk confuse it with the Isle of Wight at the best of times. What chance have they with that billboard?

IMO, that campaign is as much use as a chocolate teapot for all the results it will likely achieve. A basic rule of marketing is that you change a well known name like that - only when people know what the name is in the first place - and get the 'joke' after you 'rebrand it'. People down there will simply just not get it.

Someone's been sold a kipper on this campaign IMO.

Aha - that would explain the posters all over the place. There you try to escape for a few days, and then...

City airport

20-17.jpg

Victoria station

21-9.jpg

Also seen a few ads in the free papers they ram down your throat on every corner in the evening, although not very well done ones. Meant to keep one but didn't - basically, the ad was in nice big letters, and said "visit our website" - only that the website address was printed in tiny little font and hardly readable at the bottom...

Very 'designer' ads.

But what they really need is a big map of the Irish Sea and an arrow pointing 'The IOM is here!'

Archived