Bikers + Footpaths

Frances

any walker will tell you that illegal riding of bikes on footpaths is quite common - go out and just look at the tyre tracks.

Motor or mountain? or both. I go out over the tops on my mountain bike and hardly ever see anyone (bikers, walkers, etc) but then it's usually during the week so the lazy buggers are probably sitting in front of the telly or gossiping on forums :lol:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the tracks I've seen are not pedal cycle mountain bikes (must admit havn't seen many of those) but wider motor cycle - I suspect most damage is done over a weekend (judging from the number of possees of off-road bikes I see heading north through Peel on Sunday morning) - though since the light nights are now here I suspect more evening use becomes possible

Motor or mountain? or both. I go out over the tops on my mountain bike and hardly ever see anyone (bikers, walkers, etc) but then it's usually during the week so the lazy buggers are probably sitting in front of the telly or gossiping on forums :lol:

I bump into off road motorcyclists quite a bit on my mountain bike and walking. Most are fine, slow down, give you room, etc, but some are utter dickheads who don't slow down, tear up everything in their path, make you get out of their way and cover you in stones and shit for your trouble. You can tell these people have absolutely no respect for the countryside or other people, but god knows how you practically police this. Couple of full time greenway wardens perhaps?

Should try to get pictures of the selfish ones, but if your out walking alone you really don't feel safe standing and photographic an anti-social group of riders.

Must be different parts of the island are more popular to off road motorcyclists. I tend to do southern routes and although I've seen a handful in the past don't really see any out on the trails.

Was up the point of ayre one weekend and a couple were flying round but were respectful when it came to them passing us. I find eye contact says a lot as well, being a keen motorbiker myself I like to think they'd offer the sort of respect I'd give to others on mine but there's always those who abuse them and give everyone else out there a bad name, same goes for the road.

I think so long as they're catered for and the areas that need conserving are conserved or at times restricted to either recover or times of the year when the ground cannot cope it's restricted, there's room for everyone. From what people say it's less the locals abusing the land and more the groups coming over on holiday packages, which is great for tourism but...... I think locals will always in the most part know what we have and respect what we have, if you destroy it then there's nothing for anyone to enjoy.

Unfortunately some motorcyclists seem to be a law unto themselves and are hell bent on spoiling things for other people. Last week I saw motor cycle tyre marks in Archallagan, I have seen bikes in South Barrule plantation and I have been told that they also ride in the Cringle plantation. I often see the "weekend visitors" usually plastered in mud and often riding like mad things on the road.

Unfortunately some motorcyclists seem to be a law unto themselves and are hell bent on spoiling things for other people. Last week I saw motor cycle tyre marks in Archallagan, I have seen bikes in South Barrule plantation and I have been told that they also ride in the Cringle plantation. I often see the "weekend visitors" usually plastered in mud and often riding like mad things on the road.

Twice I've seen a gang of maybe 20 of them running impromptu races on the stretch of road above the Sulby reservoir. There definitely seems to be a yob element.

On this very forum there is a "pothole watch" thread. I was thinking of suggesting that people should stop driving their cars over these potholes because they seem to be making them worse. I was also thinking of suggesting that perhaps car owners could pay for a special licence and use the money rasied to repair the potholes, they could also club together and form a working party and repair the worse ones on regular basis. No? thought not.

Lets not forget that all roads started out as tracks and therefore the solution may be to tarmac the millenium way. There is plenty of room for everyone on this fantastic island, lots more room for walkers (which i also am) than there is for bike riders.

On this very forum there is a "pothole watch" thread. I was thinking of suggesting that people should stop driving their cars over these potholes because they seem to be making them worse. I was also thinking of suggesting that perhaps car owners could pay for a special licence and use the money rasied to repair the potholes, they could also club together and form a working party and repair the worse ones on regular basis. No? thought not.

Lets not forget that all roads started out as tracks and therefore the solution may be to tarmac the millenium way. There is plenty of room for everyone on this fantastic island, lots more room for walkers (which i also am) than there is for bike riders.

Bang on the money Mr Mudcheck. Just to add my two penethworth, do walkers, mountainbikers and horseriders think that they cause no erosion at all? Get real, the issue of mountain erosion by walkers in places like Snowdonia has been on the agenda for as long as i can remember, add to that the frosty reception mountain bikers get in some parts of North Wales from walkers and you'll soon understand that everyone seems to want the hills all to themselves. A green lane is a lane a footpath is a path.

Rocket science it is not.

Bang on the money Mr Mudcheck. Just to add my two penethworth, do walkers, mountainbikers and horseriders think that they cause no erosion at all?

Last years end to end race had 640 riders, the erosion caused was less than would be caused by half a dozen enduro motorcyles.

I ride both but I m afraid there is no contest when it come to the damage from motorbikes. If they are to be allowed on the uplands then some type of surfaced track will have to be laid

Last years end to end race had 640 riders, the erosion caused was less than would be caused by half a dozen enduro motorcyles.

..although some participants looked slightly eroded :)

e90.jpg

/runs and hides

Just to add my two penethworth, do walkers, mountainbikers and horseriders think that they cause no erosion at all?

Do you seriously think that an off road machine does the same amount of damage as my feet?

whats all this bullshit about footpaths and tracks?? the government labelled them all 'highways' way back and as such they are highways, just like the TT course is, you just don't see the DOT sorting the 'wear' like they do this time of year on the course. fuck ramblers!!

whats all this bullshit about footpaths and tracks?? the government labelled them all 'highways' way back and as such they are highways, just like the TT course is, you just don't see the DOT sorting the 'wear' like they do this time of year on the course. fuck ramblers!!

There are not labelled highways, try more like public rights of wa, footways, or green lanes the latter having several different classifications depending on useage

Just to add my two penethworth, do walkers, mountainbikers and horseriders think that they cause no erosion at all?

Do you seriously think that an off road machine does the same amount of damage as my feet?

That's not what i asked, pay attention.

Anyway.

Why is it O.K for certain non road tax paying groups (such as walkers & mountain bikers) to use and erode these lanes but it's not O.K for those who pay tax for the upkeep of them to continue to use them? I expect you'll dodge that question as well.

Get real. The issue is actually one of mis-use of taxes.

These are roads that have been rights of way to traffic for generations. Granted, they do pass through some beautiful countryside, however the tracks themselves have a purpose - they are for travelling on, not gawking at. If you rufty tufty mtb types don't like it on the green lanes, stick to the easier routes.

And another thing.

Have you seen the erosion caused by bicycles on the disused railways around the Island? Tut tut. Only walkers (wearing slippers) should be allowed access to these havens of natural beauty (which weren't put there by man, but by some divine being - macmannachoochooman). And then only with the proviso that they arrange working parties to fluff up the weeds (and dogshit) once a week.

Archived